Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

cannot update my xp

• Please log in to reply

Syztem

Syztem

• PipPip
  • 85 posts
hello ,ive read that to help my pc from freezing i need to update service packs.. i try and it just installs the same thing over and over for faster downlloads, and it cuases my pc to freeze on the 2nd or 3rd time. what do i do?

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

When you get to the Windows Update page, use the "Custum Install" option and choose ONLY the Service Pack you want installed.. Leave the others..

Murray

Syztem

Syztem

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
hello, im not able to choose a service back, it asks to install something to access that, also added ive had to do a complete format, still the same problems and now i get a RPC error and a count down to shut down my computer with a large X on it.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP

hello, im not able to choose a service back, it asks to install something to access that, also added ive had to do a complete format, still the same problems and now i get a RPC error and a count down to shut down my computer with a large X on it.

You have probably been massively infected already due to your re-install of XP.. Disconnect from the net and format and install XP again making sure you install a good av and firewall BEFORE you connect to the net..

As for the Service Packs, you have to install a special ActiveX program (that's what it was telling you to do) and then validate your XP install (makes sure you aren't running an illegal copy) before it will allow you to download the Service Packs, etc!!

Murray

Syztem

Syztem

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
i believe that did it.. i had no idea you can become so quickly infected, my CD burner is out of date.. it only works on windows 98 , so i suppose i have to buy a newo ne and back everything up! ill look for a low price one ^^ ty for the help
also added : i must purchased a new windows program, ive formatted so many times due to infections ive run out of "amounts of times used" :tazz: just one thing after another..

Edited by Syztem, 20 January 2006 - 12:22 AM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You just need to call Microsoft on the number you get from the activation screen and they will give you a new number to put in

Do you mean the CD Burning programme or the CD Writer Drive

Syztem

Syztem

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
omg ! excellent! i will call first thing inthe morning! thanks you guys are great, i need to take classes to learn this kind of thing, my pc crashes constantly and i concidered myself atleast an average level with pcs >< i suppose not, i will definitly look into it, thank you all again

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You will get the activation screen, you play a game of filling in the boxes, it says no can do, hold on and we will put you through to an operator, they ask you if you have installed it on any other PC, you say no, they say type this in the boxes, you do and it says activated

They are about 24 / 7

Syztem

Syztem

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
the cd writer driver ^^ i use a hewlett packard cd-writer plus 9300, ive tried to instal thedrivers to run on windows home edition but it says it can only run on 98.. :\

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click I accept here

http://h20278.www2.h...c&cc=UK&ctype=w

and ask them if the software CD here

http://h10025.www1.h...ct=59293&os=228

will supply drivers for your CD Writer to run with XP

Check the price including shipping as you may get a DVD Writer for not much more

Advertisements

Syztem

Syztem

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
doing that now ^^ its been at a, this may take 90 seconds window for more than 90 , there collecting system information it says, also added i got my new id a bit ago :tazz: ty very much for that,
edited: hmm.. im beginning to thinik its not going to load

Edited by Syztem, 20 January 2006 - 11:00 AM.

Syztem

Syztem

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
well im talkign to "Praveen D" not going to well, shes asking for a serial number but i dont have a certificate, id ont know where to find the serial number

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
your certificate of authority is on the sticker that should be attached to the side or back of your machine, The serial number is on that.

Syztem

Syztem

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
omg.. i see it now, it was right next to my hand >< thank you, continuing my hp support, i hope they provide the drivers for it although i doubt it.
ill be trying to install windows updates and hope it works this time aswell

Syztem

Syztem

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
Ray, if the CD Writer that you have installed in this unit if it is not tested, then you will not be able to you the CD-Writer in this unit. This unit was shipped with the CD-ROM drive only.

[Friday, January 20, 2006 9:33 AM] -- ray figueroa says:
i know This unit was only shipped with a CD rom drive, ive had a previous pc that this came with but it was much older, thats where i got the CD writer shipped in, i do not even have the case anymore so id ont have the serial number for that unit.

[Friday, January 20, 2006 9:34 AM] -- Praveen D says:
Ray, please confirm the Compaq spare part number for the CD-Rwiter. The Compaq spare part number is a 6-3 (xxxxxx-xxx) digit number. You will find this on a sticker, located on the component, which reads 'Replace with Compaq spares'.

i dont see this now either, do i open up the pc while its running to check?