Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

toshiba problems

• Please log in to reply

solomosp

solomosp

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have a Toshiba m15-s405 notebook and have been having some problems with it recently. Luckily it is under warrenty but I feel as if I am being led in circles by Best Buy the store where I bought the computer and where the warrenty is from.
So a few months ago my computer was making some sort of cracking sound so i took it in to get fixed. I just got it back today and they have replaced the following pieces of my computer:
the hard drive
the motherboard
the screen
the track pad
parts of the keyboard
the fans
and parts of the casing.

I know this sounds excessive but it was damaged once when they were shipping it back to me from the repair center.

When i first plugged it in the light with the icon of a plug blinked amber and it would not turn on. So i unplugged it and took the battery out and then put it back in. I let it sit charging for 2 hours and tried it again. When it is plugged in the plug light is solid green and the battery light is amber. I can turn it on but there is no sound of the hard drive or any of the usual sounds of a computer turning on. BUT if i let it sit for a few minutes the center of the bottom of the computer gets VERY hot, almost like the processor is working but there is no far and nothing else either.

does anyone have any idea what in the world is going on with my computer?
thanks for helping
stephen

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. The best course of action would be to seek resolution under the warranty. From what you describe, it does not sound like they "fixed" it.

solomosp

solomosp

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I know that they should be fixing it but I want to know what is going on with my comptuer so they dont take another 3 months "fixing" it. I would like to know so they dont give me the run around, so they just fix it and make it work.
thanks
stephen

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi solomsp

Although Austin_o is correct about returning the laptop under warranty, I appreciate that you would like to know whats wrong with it!

I know that for certainly some (and possibly all) Toshibas, when the battery LED is amber (or red), it means that the battery is low i.e 10% or less charge remains. You may wish to check this though in your manual.
If this is correct & you had already charged it up for a couple of hours, then it obviously shouldn't be low which indicates that the battery is not charging correctly.

Also, when the AC_IN LED (the one with the plug icon) is flashing, this means that there is a power problem & the laptop won't start up.

The heat you felt on the underside of the laptop could be due to one of two things :
either the battery is getting too hot or the cpu fan isn't working.

To eliminate a battery problem, try removing the battery altogether & running the laptop just from the ac adapter. You must however keep a very close eye on how hot the underside of the laptop is getting. If it still gets very hot with the battery removed, then this suggests that the cpu fan has failed & you should turn the laptop off immediately.

Let me know what happens