Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

98 boot problem explorer.exe page fault YAY!

• Please log in to reply

xigxag

xigxag

• Pip
  • 9 posts
i'm working on an old pavilion with 98SE for someone.

symptoms:

At first recieved error at boot:
This program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down. If the problem persists, contact the program vendor.
"explorer executed an invalid instruction in module browseui.dll at (memory address)"

followed by a blank desktop background
Same thing for safe mode

first thing i did was replaced the .dll from a floppy at command prompt, same result

I then repaired IE from Progman as shown in this article

same result again.

Note, the second method on that page, the restore IE option, would not complete successfully.

I then did a scanreg /restore to the most recent date, which was about a year ago, I suppose that was around the time the system went down. Upon reboot, I still got the Explorer.exe illegal operation and must be shutdown, however, now the details changed to the more common:
"EXPLORER caused an invalid page fault in module EXPLORER.EXE at memory address."

Now, Microsoft IE isn't even listed in add/remove programs, however the iexplore and all other files are still in their folder in c:\program files\internet explorer\

Not quite sure what to do now. For some reason all other registry restore points would not work. I couldn't go back any further. I also tried a scanreg /fix, that might have been bad.

I tried running ie5setup from the c:\program files\internet explorer\ with minimal install, however it needs to connect to get the file and there is no NIC installed. So I guess I'm gonna throw one in there and reinstall IE to see if that helps any. Also listed in the same folder is ie6setup. Which do you think I should install? I'm thinking the problem may have stemmed from an windowsupdate upgrade of IE.

If anyone has any other ideas, even remote possibilites, please let me know, as I don't want to do a reinstall/overlap unless I have absolutely no choice. I will report back tomorrow after I install the NIC, as it is time for bed now.

Thanks for your time.

Advertisements

xigxag

xigxag

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Ok, update:

I put in a NIC and put the driver on a disk. Had to end up installing the thing from progman which sucked, but I learned a lot of new run control panel applets. Like:

control msinfo32.cpl, and control sysdm.cpl (system properties)

Anyway after i finally got the NIC installed I ran ie6setup.exe by browsing to it program files\internet explorer in progman. It reinstalled IE6 and i changed back to Explorer.exe and that was that!!

So something to try when getting the above boot error, and you can't repair IE.