Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dvd/CD drive won't read cd/dvd anymore

• Please log in to reply

Demeus

Demeus

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello guys, i'm new to the forum but I hope i can find a solution to my problem here.

Ok the problem is :
My DVD/CD drive and my CD drive both aren't operating anymore.
IF i insert a cd into the dvd drive it registers that there is something inside but there is no content on it.
In my cd drive it doesn't even register something inside. I removed burning software and virtual drives.
Tried removing reg keys.
Shut down processes. Tried almost everything I could find about this subject but they just aint working.
Shutting down power, removing power from the drives. Rebooting putting them online again.
Removing at device manager etc. Still nothing.
I tested my drives in Dos. Both work so it's a windows thing. but what???

Advertisements

Demeus

Demeus

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
/bump :tazz:. Please help me :)

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
what, if any, burning programs have you had installed?

Are these commercial cds, or self made CDs? Does the symptom display in both commercial CDs and self-made ones

Demeus

Demeus

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
All burning programs are de-installed, problem is with commercial and burned cd's doesn't matter

Only had alcohol 120% installed. and yes syptoms displays on both.

Elfman42

Elfman42

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Problem: CDs, DVDs etc. won't read in Windows...but they read in Safe Mode. Floppies ask to be formatted and USB devices also ask to be formatted. Replacing Atapi.sys doesn't work, removing devices and letting Windows redetect them doesn't work. Many forums online mention this problem but I couldn't find the fix...here it is, or at least here's something to try.

1. Find your motherboard CD (Asus, Intel, etc)
2. If the CD drive works in Safe Mode, then restart the machine and go into Safe Mode.
3. Insert the CD and let the menu come up. If that doesn't work, go to My Computer and run the Setup from there.
4. Reinstall the chipset device drivers (IDE/Atapi, USB, etc.)
5. Restart when asked to do so and let the computer go into Windows normally.

I hope this helps.

PS...if you don't have the mobo CD, check out the vendor website for chipset drivers and download them. Please note that my experience with this was with a clone machine running an Asus board with a VIA chipset. Running the mobo CD and reapplying the chipset drivers solved the problem with everything...CDs, USB flash disks and floppies. If you're running a Dell, HP, Compaq, or some other name branded machine, you may have trouble with this solution unless you can identify the board in your machine and find the chipset support at the appropriate website (vendor of PC or motherboard).

Edited by Elfman42, 26 January 2006 - 05:07 PM.