Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Forever stuck in "Loading"...

• Please log in to reply

bubblesx2

bubblesx2

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I've had my computer for about a year, and it's been extremely loyal to me... until a few days ago. We had a power outage that lasted quite some time... and ever since then, my dear computer just hasn't been the same. It loaded perfectly once.. and since then, it hasn't been able to get past the loading screen (where it says "Windows XP" with the little blue bars moving across on the bottom). I don't know if it was the power outage, or if it was my fault for downloading something (I am quite the downloader......), but I would appreciate any help to get my little computer up and running again.

It runs on Safe mode, Safe mode with networking, and Safe mode command promp mode. I've tried to do the reverse thing.. where it loads the computer with the settings of a previous date in case it had occured errors... but it keeps getting stuck at the loading screen. I don't know if it's just taking an incredibly long amount of time to load... but the last time, I left it on and took a nice hot bath. When I came out... it was still loading.

Help????? :tazz:

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
on the day that it worked fine...did you iinstall anything new?

bubblesx2

bubblesx2

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I don't believe so. I went online, checked my e-mail as always... played a few PC games... and then turned the computer off.

waynescheffler

waynescheffler

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
I would start by going into safe mode then
start>run> type in control admintools then hit the enter key
open the event viewer and clear all events in all areas.
restart the computer in normal mode and let it set at the load for a while.
restart the computer in safe mode and check the logs.

Also might want to in safe mode
Start>run type chkdsk /f /r then press enter key, type Y press enter key and
reboot

bubblesx2

bubblesx2

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I'm confused... when I check the logs, what am I supposed to be checking for? Sorry... I'm not horribly computer literate.

waynescheffler

waynescheffler

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Anything in the system or application log that indicates an error...(looks like a red dot with an X in the center of it.) Im sorry I can not be more specific, There are many errors that will keep windows from starting correctly. If you happen to see an error that indicates an application hung or a driver failed to load you might be able to find and uninstall or disable the program that relies on the service or driver.

If you find anything of interest in the logs post them and we can all have a look

bubblesx2

bubblesx2

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I found a few errors... how do I post the logs so I can have others see them?