Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Need new graphics card. Trying to connect to Plasma tv

• Please log in to reply

Plasma Zone

Plasma Zone

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I got a new plasma hdtv (Panasonic th-50px50u) and I am trying to hook it up to my computer to use as a monitor. My computer is kinda old, Dell Dimension 4550, P4, 2.66ghz, 640mb ram, and here is the really old part, Geforce4 Mx420 64mb graphics card. My graphics card does not have a DVI out only S-video. I tried connecting the S-video to my tv but to my dismay it was blurry. Is there any way to make it so that it is not blurry? Would a graphics card with DVI out fix the problem? What graphics card do you suggest? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
a graphix card with dvi would deffinitely help the issue...as i'm not a hardware afficianado..i do not have any suggestions on new cards to use....i would suspect that the card that you have doesn't have the proper refresh rate and display properties to handle the plasma tv

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Ive got an HDTV and i have DVI but i dont have any DVI cables lying around, so i used a DVI-VGA converter and used the VGA cable from my monitor and it hooked up fine, youll need a seperat audio cable for sound ro seperate speakers. You also might need to play with the resolutions the newer cards like mine have HDTV resolutions and features but yours should be able to output to it not sure if youll be able to get a good resolution to fit properly though.

Hope this helps, there are a few otherways but after farting around and experimenting for a while i found this way easier than the S-video which for me refused to work properly.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
yeah..what scott said...why didn't i think of the dvi to vga adapter? ah right..iim stupid..

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Man took me three hours to think of it after tearing the house to bits trying to find S-video converters and DVI adpaters. So if your stupid think how dumb i must be, what a night that was, i was desperate to play CoD2 on the big tv you know what they say more haste less speed.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
A new video card will definately help but svideo doesnt really look good to me on any card. Since you have a plasma it should have the dvi plugin and the sub 15 pin plugin. Either the dvi plugin or the vga sub 15 pin (blue connector) from the video card is the best picture you will get. Svideo looks crappy with a pc video card going to a tv.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah, Svideo isnt great straight into TVs for some reason (although the better the TV the better it is), works better through a video or DVD player the svideo signal gets boosted and cleaned up if you do it that way, straight from the gfx card though is the best way as through the svideo in order to get it to work you sometimes have to actually have a monitor hooked up to set up the S-video the DVI and VGA however are autodetected at startup.

Edited by warriorscot, 19 January 2006 - 05:21 PM.

Plasma Zone

Plasma Zone

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
My tv does not have a DVI in plug but it does have an HDMI plug. Are you guys saying that I could get a VGA to HDMI plug and that it would work? When I tried the S-video cable it was O.K. for large sized still images (my brother needed to do a slide show) but it is terrible for games and I can't even read text. I would kind of like to get a new graphics card anyway because the one I have is old. If I get a new graphics card will that make it so that it is not fuzzy (I could then go Dvi to Hdmi). I don't know anything about graphics cards and I am really confused. I see a card and then there are like 10 different versions of that same card. I was looking at the Radeon X1300 series and there are a million different x1300 cards. I am having a hard time comparing cards. I can't tell if I'm comparing apples to apples, or apples to oranges. I think I need an AGP card. I don't even know what AGP is does it have to do with the type of motherboard I have? Thanks for your help.