Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

All video's + games dark

• Please log in to reply

dubs86

dubs86

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Whenever I watch a video or play a game it is extremely dark.
This is what Ive done to try to fix the problem:

set monitor to full brightness and contrast
(a little better)

reinstalled graphics card drivers
(no change)

changed brightness and contrast settings for overlays, under "display" in controll panel
(in a screenshot, dark parts remain relatively dark and bright parts become too bright. basicly it doesnt help much. its as if jacking up the brightness only effects the bright parts of the picture. If i get one video set right, then another video will be too bright or too dark)

even when I upgraded my graphics card the problem carried on unchanged

Any suggestions?

Advertisements

flyingbrit

flyingbrit

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
Which gpu do you have?.....I think your problem sounds as though it's related to the gamma settings on your system being set too low, it all depends on your monitor as to what your gamma should be set at. (all monitors are different so it's down to you to set yours to suit) You should be able to find gamma adjustment in, control panel, display, settings, advanced.....you could take a look at this light reading.... http://www.photoscie...co.uk/Gamma.htm ......britsdad :tazz:

Edited by flyingbrit, 19 January 2006 - 12:42 PM.

dubs86

dubs86

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for the tip mate!
I had a play around with it and the gamma setting seems like it's the problem. When I adjusted the gamma all my pictures came out clearer. But, I cant seem to find any settings that will let me adjust the gamma on the videos or "overlay".

Any ideas?

flyingbrit

flyingbrit

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
Glad I could help......as for video gamma settings I've never seen any you can change, but they are all dependant on the setttings for your monitor. :tazz:

flyingbrit

flyingbrit

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
If you go to the site I've linked earlier and go down the page to near the bottom, there is a gamma setting page you can use. The default setting for a pc is 2.2

dubs86

dubs86

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks again bruv! I found some software that sorted out the video and now everything is working as it should :tazz:

it was windvd 7, incase anyone has the same problem.