Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Blind mans bluff, {resolved}

• Please log in to reply

Ianzworld

Ianzworld

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
I applied a theme while it was hanging and now my screen and all windows and text is black. Open windows appear black so I can't change the theme back in the properties panel. Alsto, my comp is hanging on boot. It either hangs right off for about a minute then normal welcome, logon and startup, or it will boot fast up to startup then drag while each process starts. I run pc booster and the boot up is fast but startup is incredibly slow. When I run advanced windows care, it's the opposite. I've spent hours trying to isolate the one setting that the two affect but they are both auto optimizing so no way to keep one from undoing the other. Please rescue a blind man from a certain hanging. :P

Edited by Ianzworld, 28 February 2006 - 12:32 AM.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
did you use something like window blinds to apply the theme?

try starting iin safe mode..does everything start up better?

Ianzworld

Ianzworld

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Thanx for the quick response. I'll try safe mode after I log off. Theme is nothing special just all black and was applied normally in xp. The boot problem really has me ticked.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
right...wanna see if we can get rid of the all black so that we can work on the rest

Ianzworld

Ianzworld

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Ok, I'll be right back.

Ianzworld

Ianzworld

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
I can see, I can see!!! Thanx, was able to reapply theme in safe mode. The boot problem is very strange. I have no malware I can find. I recently was infected with vcodec and its variants but ran smit rem and every other cleaner etc I could find.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i would say that your two accellerators are competing...i would say pick one and disable the other and see what happens

Ianzworld

Ianzworld

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Hmmm...Aceller...s?????? :tazz:

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
pc booster and adcanced windows whatchamawhosit

Ianzworld

Ianzworld

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
I tried that. Even uninstalling each one several times. The setting might have something to do with disk a I/O settings or a prefetch value or something like that. Whenever I run adv windows .. it fixes the startup but causes boot hang. pc boost fixes boot hang but then processes take 1 second each to start and ther are forty of them. Neither accelerator runs at startup they are just optimizer apps so some setting in the system is whacked I think.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you've got 40 different items running at startup?!?!?....yeah..that would cause a slow down in loading windows for sure...why do you have that many items running at startup?

Ianzworld

Ianzworld

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
Sorry. Services I should have said. I have no major programs starting. 13 of them start in safe mode. Some are nvidea, some palm etc. I removed many since last xp install. Toshiba default starts nearly 50 and I didn't have this problem then. As I said it is really strange the way these two apps undo each other so there must be setting somewhere i can change???

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i'm not familiar with either software package...sorry...does either of their websites have a support forum?