Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Outlook Express confused accounts

• Please log in to reply

Trevor Carpenter

Trevor Carpenter

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I would really appreciate any advice on this one. I have been trying to fix it for days.

I have three Outlook Express accounts running under Widows XP, which I will call A, F and T reflecting their alphabetic status.

T is the default mail user. When T receives mail (send and receive all) and then tries to reply to that mail it supposes that reply is being sent from A. There is a From box which T's replies receive mail from A who they do not know. So it appears that although T is set up to only receive T’s mail, this he does but something logs it as being received by A.

A and F do not have a problem mail is always received by them as them and replies are always correct. They do not have a From box showing.

My main issue is obviously what am I doing wrong. I think I have all three accounts set up identically.

As a secondary question why does the From box only show for T. I know in Outlook as opposed to Express you can specify whether or not to show the From box but I can’t find any way to do this in Express.

Incidentally I thought it might be something to do with XP User Accounts rights but all three are set up the same with administrator’s rights.

I noticed a similar problem was reported in May but with no conclusion

Advertisements

Elaine

Elaine

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Hi Trev

Have a look at this website http://www.insideoutlookexpress.com/

very useful information

Elaine

Trevor Carpenter

Trevor Carpenter

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks for the advice

As often happens on the day that someone responds I solve the problem. For others who may come across the same problem it was caused by my setting up e-mail accounts for three users in a single account when I first set up XP. In between times to get outlook express to function I had changed this so that each user had their own e-mail accounts set up from within their user. This meant that A and F had their accounts set up within their users but me T had all three accounts showing in which case Outlook Express determines that you want to send mail from the person at the top of the list. The from box comes into play when you have more than one account showing. I deleted the two superfluous accounts and everything works fine.

Elaine

Elaine

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
your welcome glad to see its fixed

Elaine