Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

XP won't boot after motherboard replacement

• Please log in to reply

sailors4

sailors4

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Esteemed forum members! I'm having a problem getting XP to boot following a mobo replacement. Specifics:
Original mobo (Trigem Imperial) in eMachines T2682 (I know, I know...never again) experienced partial failure. I installed new power supply, and discovered that the USB ports and audio were nonfunctional. However, Celeron 2.6 processor, RAM (2x256), HDD, floppy, CD and DVD drives all continued to function normally.
Decided to replace mobo. Backed up all important data files to CDROMs.
Purchased & installed Asus P4V8X-MX microATX mobo. Installed processor and RAM, connected up devices, LEDs, power switch, etc, no problem.
Powered up the machine, went to BIOS setup. Confirmed that CPU, RAM and drives were all recognized by BIOS. Hit F5 to set BIOS settings to default (which includes "no" setting for plug-and-play OS).
Exited BIOS, let system attempt to boot. Got to screen that states "OS may have been shut down improperly" and includes options for booting in safe mode. I selected "boot in normal mode".
The system only ran for about 2 seconds after making that selection, then initated a reboot, again arriving at the "OS may have been shut down improperly" screen. I tried the "boot in safe mode" selection, same result. I powered the machine off, removed battery, did jumper moves to reset BIOS to default settings. Powered back up, same result.

Then I powered down, substituted a smaller HDD from another computer that had W2000 on it as the primary IDE. The machine booted up normally. Hmmmm...

The XP OS on the original HDD is the OEM version that was shipped by eMachines. The computer came with a 3-CD set for "product recovery". I went into BIOS, set the CD as first boot device, inserted CD#1 of product recovery CDs, and rebooted. The product recovery screen came up, with its warning that proceeding with recovery would result in loss of all data files. In my opinion, if the original HDD with original copy of OS on it (still functioning up to the time I removed the original mobo) won't boot, why would I expect the OS to boot after doing a 'product recovery', right?

So I aborted the product recovery, and that's where it stands presently. Does anyone know:
1) Is there a process that I might use to get the original OEM OS to boot up with the new mobo?
2) Does the 'variant' of the XP OS provided by eMachines need to determine the presence of an eMachines mobo before it will boot up?
3) Is this potentially a driver issue, and if so, should I reinstall the original mobo, get the system running, and pop in the CDROM that came with the new Asus motherboard? If so, what should I attempt to install from the motherboard CD?

thanks in advance!

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy and welcome to G2G:

First of all, the EMachines OEM install disk must stay with the system it was installed on.. Considering you replaced the mobo, odds are they won't work now as most OEM install cd's will check to make sure all the original hardware is still in place (mobo that is)..

As you changed the mobo, odds are the cd won't work..

Also, chances are the hdd that has XP installed on it will give you nothing but errors and problems with the new mobo as NOTHING in Registry or where drivers are concerned will match what XP expects to be there.. The only fix for this is to use a Windows XP cd and run a Repair option...

Murray

sailors4

sailors4

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Murray, thanks for the quick reply!

I was thinking that the XP software would be licensed for singular home use, but not specifically to a motherboard. :tazz: It seems like I've already purchased the OS as part of the original computer purchase, and as long as I am not using it on another machine, I should be entitled to continue using it. Maybe the EULA doesn't work that way in this case. I guess that's one for the lawyers.
Anyway, I think I'll see if I can try the Repair option.

If I buy a new, sealed copy of XP labeled as "OEM" from one of the many large online vendors such as Newegg or Zipzoomfly, am I likely to face this same issue again?

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Technically, all you originally bought when you purchased the EMachine was the "RIGHT" to use XP on THAT system.. That's it!! So, like most major computer supplies, they placed a little program within the cd that checks to make sure it is being installed on the system is was sold with..

As for any future OEM cd, they are required to be sold with some sort of hardware and that hardware has to accompany the cd all the time..

Murray

sailors4

sailors4

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Looks like what I should do is purchase new copy of XP. Then use its CD to attempt the Repair option, hopefully preserving the files on the original HDD. If that fails, I can at least reload the OS from scratch, although I'll be left with the task of putting a lot of data files, applications, drivers and other stuff back on the HDD.

Thanks again for your help! :tazz:

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
No problem !! Hope all goes well !! :tazz:

Murray

waynescheffler

waynescheffler

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
If the old mobo will still run you might try to reintall the old board, start the machine in safe mode, go to the device manager, uninstall ALL device drivers, shut down the machine and install the new mobo.

That way xp will not try to load the bad drivers at boot. and will attempt to refind all the devices. One word of warning. XP may force you to call microsoft to reactivate XP. when you call them just tell them you had to replace the mobo.

Luck be with you