Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My computer freezes up and gives me this error message

• Please log in to reply

jonathangoff

jonathangoff

• Pip
  • 9 posts
My laptop has begun freezing up on me and giving me the blue screen of death that has the following message:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to be sure you have adequate disk space. If a driver is identified in the stop message, disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver updates. Try changing video adapters.

Check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use safe mode to remover or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select advanced startup options, and then select safe mode.

TECHNICAL INFORMATION:

*** STOP: (0x0000008E,0x80571f06,0xf5859c08,0x00000000)

Beginning dump of physical memory
Physical memory dump complete
Contact your system administrator or technical support group for further assistance.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Does anyone know why I am receiving this message and what I can do to fix the problem?

Advertisements

waynescheffler

waynescheffler

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
The most common reasons for the 0x0000008E error are
1. Bad memory
2. IEEE 1394 storage device, such as a CD-ROM or external disk drive on XP with service pack 1

If you have a removable CD-ROM(or switchable CD\Floppybay) and service pack 1 try installing the CD-ROM back in the machine and rebooting. If you get into windows update to service pack 2 asap

NriKo

NriKo

• Pip
  • 1 posts

The most common reasons for the 0x0000008E error are
1. Bad memory
2. IEEE 1394 storage device, such as a CD-ROM or external disk drive on XP with service pack 1

If you have a removable CD-ROM(or switchable CD\Floppybay) and service pack 1 try installing the CD-ROM back in the machine and rebooting. If you get into windows update to service pack 2 asap

Please help, I have the same error message only I have service pack2 already and keeps giving the same error message, what can I do? I also have lost my windows xp recovery disk.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
That is not a complete stop error

A stop error has a number, and four parameters in paranthesis.

Nriko, please start your own thread, and postcomplete stop error

jonathangoff

jonathangoff

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
What can I do to resolve this problem? Does anyone have any sugestions?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
please post the entire stop message

Nait Dawg

Nait Dawg

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Replace the memory? Or try the memory in a different system. Chances are thats what it is.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
8e errors are almost always driver errors, not memory errors.

posting the entire error message though will perhaps tell us WHAT driver.

Otherwise, update all of your drivers from the manufacturer of the laptop website

Nait Dawg

Nait Dawg

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

8e errors are almost always driver errors, not memory errors.

posting the entire error message though will perhaps tell us WHAT driver.

Otherwise, update all of your drivers from the manufacturer of the laptop website

Are you sure? *eyes you carefully and then chuckles* I'm gonna shoot you a PM GerryF if you don't mind. (I always like to get permission first so as not to be rude)

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
feel free