Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

LANparty Hosting...What gear do I need

• Please log in to reply

Adzi

Adzi

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
Hi there,
Im a beginner at this !!

I'm hosting a LANparty for a few friends at my house in a month or so. So far it's confirmed as 4 coming(inc. myself) so what equipment do I need exactly?

We all have ethernet cards. I've looked at a few guides on the net and they proved not to be much help...

:tazz:

any input greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
You need a pretty decent server pc machine. If you are playing on the same pc as the server is going to be thats fine but make shure that pc is pretty fast. You need some type of router, or switch so you can connect all the pc's together.

You need a place for all of the computers to be, a desk or table(s). You will need some cat5 networking cables as well. Enough outlets for the pc's to be plugged in.

Thats all you need, when you start the server depending on what game it is start the server as a lan server. Dedicated or non dedicated, it doesnt really matter.

Its not a complicated task, very easy.

Everyone has to have the same game of course. :tazz:

Edited by jrm20, 19 January 2006 - 05:42 PM.

Adzi

Adzi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
excellent, thanks :tazz:
So what do I need to look for in a switch? and my pc will act as the server, its pretty fast :)

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
I would just get a regular router from like walmart, besbuy, online somewhere.... Make shure it has enough ports for all of the people with pc's.