Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

npkcrypt

• Please log in to reply

xxfntmxx

xxfntmxx

• PipPip
  • 57 posts
Recently it felt like my computer was acting a bit strange but i dont know what the problem was. i ran spyware and anti virus scans and it didnt help. i opened event viewer and i noticed that in the systems section an error occured

Source: Service control manager
Event ID: 7000
Description: the npkcryptservice failed to start due to the following error: the system cannot find the file specified.

I searched the internet and couldnt find any information on the npkcrypt.

Recently i noticed that the computer started up slowly around 7 to 8 mintues, and i could not close some programs that have froze, even from taskmanager. i would click end program and nothing would happen. Also as these programs freeze windows take a Very long time to shutdown, i waited it out once it took about 20-30 mintues, with many pop up endtask menus. Windows closes programs as i see icons on the taskbar disappearing, then my desktop closes but windows then hangs on my background and doesnt shut down When no program freezes, windows shutsdown normally and quickly.

I have also tried sfc /scannow and chkdsk /f /r but none of those helped

I dont know if npkcrypt error in event viewer is related to the problem I'm expriencing, any help would be greatly appreciated

Edited by xxfntmxx, 19 January 2006 - 05:44 PM.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you do not have this

npkcrypt.sys file information
The process nProtect KeyCrypt Driver belongs to the software nProtect KeyCrypt Driver by INCA Internet Co., Ltd.

Please go here:

Malware Removal Guide

Run all the programmes as advised then post a current Hijack This Log in a new topic in the Malware Forum

For the purpose of accurate malware analysis, Hijack This Logs are only dealt with in the Malware Forum. Posting them anywhere else will result in a delayed response

If you are unable to run any of the programmes, ask for advice in the Malware Forum

Important: Some malware camouflage themselves as npkcrypt.sys, particularly if they are located in c:\windows or c:\windows\system32 folder. Thus check the npkcrypt.sys process on your pc whether it is pest.

xxfntmxx

xxfntmxx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
Thanks for the QUICK replay Keith, I have a question though, i searched my computer and was able to find the files

npkcrypt.dll
npkcrypt.xfs
npkcrypt

all in c:\Program Files\softnyx\GunBound\fetch

I dont think they are related to this problem as in they are part of a game and not a system process.

when you say if you do not have this should i download the file from here? http://www.system-he...l/npkcrypt-dll/

Edited by xxfntmxx, 19 January 2006 - 06:06 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Can you run this while I scratch my head :tazz:

http://housecall65.trendmicro.com/

Tick yes then launch

xxfntmxx

xxfntmxx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
Well i have ran Ad-Aware SE, Spybot S&D,CleanUp!, CSWShredder, and Norton Anti-Virus scans, but will do...

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Have you installed Gunbuddy or the other one, the reason for checking is because it can be malware, if it is then it will get in the way of resolving it

xxfntmxx

xxfntmxx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
Yes, its a popular online multiplayer game. I dont know, but doubt its malware.

EDIT: i also have this game installed on my laptop which also runs windows SP2, and i have no problems with the error in event viewer or the general problems i described earlier

Edited by xxfntmxx, 19 January 2006 - 06:31 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you are not in too much of a rush for this, speak to their tech support

http://softnyx.net/M...care_qna_gb*asp

The link you had in post 3 is for the other one, not the game

xxfntmxx

xxfntmxx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
Im a bit confused by your posts :tazz:

I dont think how ever the game file names has anything to do with the event viewer showing this error. The link i showed you is what i believe is missing and thus causing the error log in event viewer.

my question is as i stand right now do i post in the malware section?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
As you have the game installed you should ask them why it has developed the fault

The link you put in post 3 is not any file related to the game so no point installing that

If Trend Micro came back clear, it is more likely to do with the game and softnyx

waynescheffler

waynescheffler

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Yep the file is npkcrypt.sys it is installed from the Gunbound game to the location
C:\games\GunBound by default. It should be set as a manual start in you services.
If the file is missing I would try to uninstall the game and reinstall. Not sure if this is related to the
npkcrypt malware or not. Not sure if the game has spyware or not its at http://www.softnyx.net/
If anyone wants to check it.

xxfntmxx

xxfntmxx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
Still a bit confused

Let me Elaborate on my train of thought.

The event viewer showed that npkcrypt was missing thus causing the error log.
Because its missing, im thinking along the lines of getting the file and see if that will fix the error, but as windows scannow and desk check did not restore the file, i dont know if npkcrypt is a valid windows file.

The search result which turned up these results are weird and i cannot explain it, but i have this game installed for quite sometime and only recently have i knoticed the problems i discussed earlier so hence to me the problem is probably not caused by these files, but im not sure if the files are concidentally the same or if the game has something to do with this.

And sorry for this but, i had norton internet protection enabled and the same was blocked i now turned it off and running the scan now sorry for the delay

EDIT: OK! thanks alot keith ill try that and update you on the progress

Edited by xxfntmxx, 19 January 2006 - 06:55 PM.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
As Wayne said, re-installing the game could do it, uninstall it with add / remove then run disc clean up, click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file, click delete, confirm and then reboot, (to remove the previous file entry for the game windows will try to load)

Install the game