Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

What is wrong with Media Center?

• Please log in to reply

confused234

confused234

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Dell installed Windows XP Media Center and when I start my computer up it says Windows XP Professional.

I have been all over the internet; went to Microsofts site, spoke to Dell techs almost daily and still no fixes.
So, I thought I would give this great area a chance.

I have Media Center, Sonic Digital Media Plus and My DVD Plus along with Windows Movie Maker, and an ATI eWonder TV Tuner. I have connected my satellite box to my computer. I recorded some tv shows and decided to copy them to a dvd. So, I clicked on the movie, then hit the more button on my remote, clicked on create a cd/dvd and then the Disc Format page comes up. I went to the Media Center web site for directions and on that it says "if you do not see video dvd on the disc format page the software is not installed or not working correctly contact your manufacturer" Dell's tech people (that I paid extra for) are actually going online to find out what they can do to help fix this problem. One said to download Sonic decoder, it didn't work. Then just abit ago another one of the techs told me to go to this one site Cyberlink.com and download power DVD.

NOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW I ask you is this normal for a new software package such as Windows XP Media Center? It seems that microsoft allows Dell to sell their product and install it on their systems BUT they can not help fix any software product. So if I want this resolved they Microsoft will gladly help me through an email for just $99!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't know but this kinda feels like I've been screwed without a kiss! Sorry.

And then I contact Sonic to see why the tv recordings are not showing up in that program and he doesn't even know why! Oh my gosh!

So if anyone out there knows anything about this media center and why it isn't showing the option Video DVD would you be so kind as to let me know?

I've given up on trying to connect my vcr to my computer.

I think it's time to bring in the HALL OF SHAME on Bill Gates and his greediness.

Thanks for listening to me and I hope someone out there can help me.

Confused234

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Administrator
  • 24,504 posts
Your satellite programming is likely encrypted to protect the copyright, and will not allow copying due to Windows digital rights management.

confused234

confused234

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Thank you for responding.

I was just sent an email from Microsoft that said Dell was suppose to be shipping out Sonic MPEG 2 encoders with every Media Center to enable video dvd. So I quess Media Center needs other peoples software to function fully.

Last night I found that Sonic is not working properly either. I spend more time serching the internet to find solutions to the problems than I do creating or playing on my computer.