Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

no internet

• Please log in to reply

SJSCHOO

SJSCHOO

• PipPip
  • 87 posts
Ok I've got this machine that someone brought to me, they say it belonged to a company and they bought it for home use but it still has that companies settings on it. I disabled all the start up items which got me pretty far but I still can seem to get the machine on our network. Normally people can just plug in and go but this one wont. So i disables norton from starting, ran malware scans, manually put in all the ip settings (ip, dns, gateway subnet...) and still nothing, tried letting windows wizard set up a lan connection no luck, and the 1st thing i did was re-install the nic drivers. I can ping computers on our network but when i try to ping www.google.com it says "Unknown Host www.google.com", tried a winsock fix (with the proper 98 file) still no luck, i'm on a time crunch to fix this any ideas??

windows 98 dell xps6t00

Advertisements

kate22in

kate22in

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
DO you mean to say you are not able to access the internet with your computer ???

SJSCHOO

SJSCHOO

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
with the broken machine in question yes no internet, all the other pcs on the network work fine

kate22in

kate22in

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
Are you able to ping the default gateway.If so try to ping the ip address of google.

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts

Are you able to ping the default gateway.If so try to ping the ip address of google.

Spot-on :tazz:

SJSCHOO -- if the computer was previously owned by a company, I wouldn't be suprised if they installed extra protocols. So, you could also try performing some of these tests.

Please download LSPFix from here. Run the LSPFix.exe that you have just finished downloading, and please list all of the protocols that are in the 'Keep' and 'Remove' list; if there are protocols in the 'Remove' list, then please don't click 'Finish>>'. Simply close the program by pressing ALT+F4 or the Close [x] button.

Test your Network
1. Goto Start, Run, type: NETSH DIAG GUI - press 'OK'. A Command Prompt window will open temporarily; don't touch it, it will disappear in a moment.
2. A Microsoft Help and Support window will then open; select the option 'Scan your system'.
3. Wait for the scan to finish and then scroll down to the heading 'Modems and Network Adapters'. Look at 'Network Adapters' (don't expand it yet). Beside your connection information, you should see a green 'PASSED'; if you do not (if you see a red 'FAILED') then expand 'Network Adapters', scroll down the list until you see the heading with the 'FAILED', expand that option and copy and paste the results here.
In the NETSH DIAG GUI, you should be looking for any red 'FAILED', however the key one is Network Adapters for you. If you see any other red FAILED, expand the component and copy the results.

Goto Start, Run, type CMD and press 'OK' - now type: PATHPING Your_DNS_Server - please copy and paste the results by right-clicking on the Command Prompt window, selecting 'Select All', and then pressing the Enter key. Please post the results here.
*Note: You can find your DNS Server by going to Start, Run, type CMD, press 'OK', then type: ipconfig /all and looking for DNS Server ........... IP (there should be multiple addresses, any of them will do fine).

SJSCHOO

SJSCHOO

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
nope can't ping gateway requests time out x4

kate22in

kate22in

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
check for firewalls and disable it

SJSCHOO

SJSCHOO

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
The LSPfix returned no removed but here are the allowed

rnr20.dll DNS Name Space Provider
msafd.dll (Protocol handler)
rsvpsp.dll (Protocol handler)

the netsh run (copied and pasted)
Cannot find the file 'NETSH' (or one of its components). Make sure the path and filename are correct and that all required libraries are availible.

and the pathping command (i copied and pasted it)
Bad command or file name

SJSCHOO

SJSCHOO

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
I might note I'm fixing windows 98 machine

Edited by SJSCHOO, 19 January 2006 - 08:21 PM.

SJSCHOO

SJSCHOO

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
anymore ideas?

Advertisements

SJSCHOO

SJSCHOO

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
nooo the people that were helping me logged off, anyone else have any new ideas?

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Can you please open up Command Prompt, and then type: winipcfg /all -- please copy/paste the results into your next reply.

SJSCHOO

SJSCHOO

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
here ya go, also i looked again at ipconfig /all and it had the same info for the dial up connection but we are on a lan...

Attached Thumbnails

• winipcfg.jpg

Edited by SJSCHOO, 19 January 2006 - 09:38 PM.

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts

here ya go, also i looked again at ipconfig /all and it had the same info for the dial up connection but we are on a lan...

Does ipconfig /all actually work on Windows 98?

Did you run that command whilst that computer was connected to your router/network? If not, please do so -- if you did, please post back letting me know.

Thanks,
Dan.

SJSCHOO

SJSCHOO

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
yea its been connectd through out this session, and yea ipconfig /all does work