Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

MS Office 2003 programs frozen after fresh install

• Please log in to reply

pl3474

pl3474

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I installed MS Office 2003 from new CD onto my Dell 8400 running Windows XP. The installation completed normally. When I tried to run Word, Excel, and Powerpoint (on separate occaisions), they all came up and then immediately froze when I clicked in the active window. My Task Manager was unable to close the program so I had to reboot to get the program closed.
First I did a "Typical install". After rebooting from the error a few times, I tried to repair the install from CD. I got the same errors. Then, I used the CD to uninstall the program, rebooted and then did a "Complete Install". I got the same freezing problems.
I checked Event Manager and saw "Application Hang" errors (101) after "Msinstaller" warnings.
Since this happens on more than 1 program, I think this has to do with some shared files- possibly DLL's. Is this logical? Do I have to use Windows' remove programs also? Should I stop Norton Anti-Virus while I do the install?

Bottom line- What can I do to get Office to run normally?

Thanks.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Open Norton AV, click options then miscellaneous options then remove the tick from Office Plug in, click apply, close Norton, open Word

pl3474

pl3474

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I tried one more thing as a last resort and it worked. I logged on as another user and MS Office then requested I activate the product. Once I did this, the program worked normally. I'm glad it finally worked, but I'm disappointed that Office didn't prompt me to activate the account right away on the user ID I installed under.

Thanks for the help. One more item to add to the lessons learned list......

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Thank You for letting me know. It should have asked you to activate as soon as you opened any Office programme

There are a number of updates for it

http://update.micros...t.aspx?ln=en-us