Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System 32 File Opens at Start Up & Links don't work in IE

• Please log in to reply

BriteOne

BriteOne

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
:) Newbie here... I am about to throw my extremely slow computer out the window. Oh wait.. I can't afford a new one, better save it....

Every time I turn on my computer my SYSTEM32 Folder opens. Then, in internet explorer any link that is clicked locks up the entire machine and I have to close the program. I have ran SpySheriff and deleted all adware and spyware it said I had, but it didn't fix the problem. Anyone out there care to help me figure this one out?

Thanks!!
:tazz: Embarrassed for not knowing what to do next.

Annie :)

Advertisements

waynescheffler

waynescheffler

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Assuming you have windows XP
This behavior can occur if a null, incomplete, or damaged entry exists in the registry.
The system32 folder will open on boot if a incorrect or corrupted entry is in the
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
or
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
registry key
or
if you have a corrupted link in you start>programs>startup folder.

The first thing to do is create a restore point start>help and support>Undo changes to your computer with System Restore. Select "Create a resore point"

Then to fix the problem. Start>run type in msconfig press enter key
click on the startup tab and look for any blank entries or entries that only have one " in them in the command column.
Uncheck any that do.
apply and restart. if the problem persists start>programs>startup right click each item in the startup folder and check that the target file is valid.

You probably have some registry corruption causing this I would download and run ERUNT to backup the registry then NTREGOPT to repair it
you can download both for free at http://www.larsheder...nline.de/erunt/

BriteOne

BriteOne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
After setting the restore point and choosing start>run>misconfig... i get this message shown in the picture below.

I ran ERUNT to backup the registry then NTREGOPT to repair it and then rebooted my machine..... but.. on start up the system32 file opened again. Now what

Attached Thumbnails

• misconfig.jpg

Edited by BriteOne, 19 January 2006 - 08:53 PM.

waynescheffler

waynescheffler

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Yep you made a booboo type its msconfig not misconfig :tazz:

BriteOne

BriteOne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Yep you made a booboo type its msconfig not misconfig :tazz:

OMG.. Guess my hair color? Going to fix that now... lol

BriteOne

BriteOne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Ok... I found one blank entry and unchecked it. I found no entries with a missing ". Rebooted.... SYSTEM32 opened at startup again. I am heading to bed for the night as I have been working on this for hours. Care to meet me here in the am for coffee??? lol.. I am in Ohio time, I should be online by 8am.

waynescheffler

waynescheffler

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Got to work unfortunately but I'll brainstorm it and try to post after work or during work if I can sneak away :tazz:

BriteOne

BriteOne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Thanks Wayne for your help. I really appreciate it. My system is the slowest on the planet. I am hoping fixing this will help it run faster also. Too bad on work tomorrow... I am off.. and thrilled about it. Make sure if you brainstorm that you give me the instructions in blonde english please. :) :)

:tazz: Smart enough to know how to do a screen shot... not smart enough to check for typos before clicking submit..... duh. Hense.. BRITEone.. mispelled brite. :woot: Bye for now.

BriteOne

BriteOne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Anyone else have any ideas? Now when I booted this morning I got an error message with a bunch of mumbo jumbo type.

BriteOne

BriteOne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Anyone else have any ideas?

Now when I booted this morning I got an error message with a bunch of mumbo jumbo type... like this... AZNNIOAHraheirfhanfOISIANLSNfsnffsdklnsoaurejndknknIWAJLJKJNLFKNs and much longer.

I ran the registry cleaner advertised on this site and it found 245 errors. But ofcourse it wants me to buy the program in order to fix the problem. Anyone have a 1 time use code or something? OR a free cleaner that will find all these errors AND fix them too??

My virus scanner is also coming back clean... could it be missing something?

raystrait

raystrait

• Pip
  • 1 posts
WAYNESCHEFFLER advice fix the problem for my computer.....thanks.