Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Error loading OS

• Please log in to reply

realelite

realelite

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi, I have a problem starting Windows XP. My system has two hard disks, one is parallel, another is SATA. The SATA drive began to fail recently and I had to replace it with an identical one. I also had a backup of the whole failing drive made with XP backup program. Now I restored everything from the backup back to the new SATA drive. When trying to boot from it, I get "Error loading OS". However, I can see the new drive with all files in it properly restored when I boot to Windows installed on the old drive.
If I boot from Windows XP CD trying to do Windows repair, it does not see the new drive, just the installation on the old drive.
Please help! How do I make the new drive bootable?

Advertisements

waynescheffler

waynescheffler

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hi :tazz:

Make sure you have a backup of all your data first.
Keith or Fenor might have a better way to do this but
if you feel brave you can try this.

Boot with the XP CD and enter the Recovery Console. At the Command Prompt type the following (where "X" is your CD-Rom drive letter) allowing the files to overwrite the old files
COPY X:\i386\NTLDR C:
COPY X:\i386\NTDETECT.COM C:

To rewrite the Boot Sector at the command prompt type FIXBOOT and press Enter. Then answer "Y"
remove the CD reboot and cross your fingers

Edited by waynescheffler, 19 January 2006 - 10:09 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
to my knowledge the windows backup program just backs up the system state and the files....when y ou go to restore..you have to reinstall the o/s and any programs you had...then do the restore...which will restore the system state and your files to their previous locations

realelite

realelite

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
The problem is, the recovery console does NOT see the new SATA drive! I would love to reinstall Windows on the new drive, however the windows setup does NOT see the new drive either.
However, when I boot to Windows on the old PATA drive, the new SATA drive can be seen from Windows with all the files in it (including ntldr and ntdetect.com).
Why can't I see the drive while it is booting up or inside CD-based Windows setup?
My motherboard is ASUS VIA KT600.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
to my knowledge...to install windows on a sata drive you have to press f6 during setup to install the sata drivers for the install to detect the drive