Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

cannot access email from oe or tbird

• Please log in to reply

monkeygrudge

monkeygrudge

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
this is a long story. first, the problem; then the steps taken to attempt to solve the problem.

the problem

i cannot access my email, be it through outlook, netscape or thunderbird. this situation has been with me since 2005.12.09.

the message i get reads "cannot connect to server mail.xxx.com; connection was refused." that's it. no error number no nothing.

attempted solutions (not in chron order)

first thing was to disable norton is. no luck. restarted and disabled both. nope.

scanned w/adaware and spybot s&s. nope.

created new account using same (and correct!) settings as before. nope.

checked all settings, ensuring correct ports listed.

tried ipconfig. nope.

tried to ping mail server. success.

tried to telnet mail server via 110. nope.

checked w/isp. looks good on their end.

un/reinstalled norton. nope. included all registry keys when deleting.

checked to make sure windows fwall inactive. it was.

downloaded and ran .dlls to reset firewall settings and repair registry. nope

cycled modem (dsl), router and server. nope.

reinstalled/repaired xppro. nope.

forget name of native app, but disabled some classes of programs to not start w/win. restarted. no dice.

in conclusion

it seems to me that my machine is blocking port 110, but it is not coming from norton or msfw. every other machine in this building (20+) hums along; i sit in limbo.

thanks for your time and attention,

dAVe

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
20 machines? is this a work computer? are you trying to connect to an internal company exchange server (or other type of internal mail server) or are you trying to connect to an outside server (isp mail, hotmail, gmail)?

monkeygrudge

monkeygrudge

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
it's a little unusual: there is an exchange server, but i only use it as a gateway to the net; my email has nothing to do with the server, and vice-versa. everyone else's machines work as an integral part of the network. they=network logons; me=no network logon.

i am trying to access the isp's mail server.

i hope this clears it up a little...

thanks,

dAVe

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
clears a little...but y ou didn't answer my main question....is this computer part of a network at your work? if so...have you contacted the tech guys there? there may be a setting in the network that disallows the kind of access you're trying to accomplish

monkeygrudge

monkeygrudge

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
okay. yes, i'm on the network.

our tech guy's looked at it and scratched his head. when i have a problem, he tells me, i make sure it's a good one.

our isp's puzzled, too: "none of us have seen anything like this."

if there is such a setting that will deny my access (just open port 110, [bleep]!), none of us have been able to find it (my experience lagging way behind tech's and isp's)--yet.

thanks,
dAVe