Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DVD drive only seen as CD drive

• Please log in to reply

pyroguysf

pyroguysf

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
So I built a new system, and everything is fine except one thing. I had to use my old dvd-rom and cd-rw drives because I haven't bought new ones yet, however I have XP installed and in my computer my DVD-ROM drive is only listed as a CD-ROM drive, and it doesn't work if I put a dvd in it. Driver issues? DVD drive just too old?

Motherboard: ASUS P5WD2 Premium
DVD drive: Hitachi GD-8000

Advertisements

pyroguysf

pyroguysf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Oh, and if it means anything, Device Manager recognizes it as a DVD drive (it allows me to choose DVD Region which you can't do if it's not recognized as a dvd drive and in device manager, if you go to its properties>Volume and click populate it does say its a DVD drive), but I think it's a driver problem because if I try to update the driver it says that I already have the best one, and if I try to google for the driver, I never can find any valid driver files. (sorry for the double post)