Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HELP: Laptop Connects to Network, But Can't Get Internet

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

oneskirt

oneskirt

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I am having problems with my home network. I am learning this as I go, so kindly bear wtih me. If you think that there may be a better place to reserach this, kindly let me know where may be better to look and I will gladly do so (yes, I have tried a few places already).

So here it is...

I have a destop pc connected by ethernet cable to a new Belkin router (g series). The router is connected to my comcast cable modem. Destop internet connection works beautifully.

My neighbor shares the network with me (shhhh!). Her old laptop use to work fine on it, then about a month ago she started having problems with this machine. The laptop logs on successfully, show a working, strong connection icon to our network (which is secured). HOWEVER - the internet does not work (but internet works fine on my desktop pc). When I open a web browser on the laptop, it won't load/connect to websites. But the connection icon at the lower right corner shows a working, strong connection. The laptop, however, can find neighboring unsecured networks, connect to them, and pull up websites. The machine shows that it's logged on in my router control panel screen.

Now she got laptop #2 from work recently. I successfully added this 3rd pc to our allowed users list and got it to work fine in my apt so I know I have added the machine correctly to the user list. But when I took it to her place, the same thing happened as with laptop #1. SIGNAL STRENTH AND CONNECTION are FINE though. She can pull up web pages on both machines about 20% of the time, and sometimes it will cut out when browsing (though connection icons are still showing that she's on). But about 80% of the time, she can't get internet.

Do you guys have any ideas what it could be and can you help me solve this?

Here's our equipment specs.

1. The Belkin router is model F5D7230-4, 802.11g. It's connected to the desktop unit via an Ethernet cable and works fine.
2. Laptop #1 has the Belkin wireless card that came bundled with the router unit. It was setup with the setup disk that cam e with the gear.
3. The laptop #2 is running Windows XP Pro with an Intel Pro Wireless 2200BG Network Connection.

Thanks!

Advertisements

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
I know what the problem is :tazz: But unfortanatly you are not supposed to be pimping out your internet service to your neighbors, so I cannot help you. :)

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP

My neighbor shares the network with me (shhhh!).

This is not legal, and we will not provide support to you on this issue. :tazz: