Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

External hard drive

• Please log in to reply

Focus

Focus

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi,

I am doing a restoration on my computer. I bought a external hard drive so I can transfer data from my existing hard drive to it. If someone could give me detail information on how to proceed I would be most grateful. I am running windows ME the external hard drive is a Maxtor.

Thanks

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
If all i am saving is data and not programs i just go thru Explore and copy and paste to folders i make on the external drive. I like to right click the "my computer" icon, then click explore so i can have a double paned window. Its easier to pick and choose what files i want to transfer. I copy whole folders at a time or using the ctrl key(held down)pick each file i want to save one by one which lets me transfer 100's of files at a time. What i do here is click on one file so that it is highlighted in blue, hold the ctrl key down and start clicking all the other files in that folder i want to copy. On the last file i want to save i right click after the left click( while still holding the ctrl key down),and click on copy. I go to a folder already there or that i have made in the external drive , click open the folder in the left pane then go up and click edit/paste.

It is not feasible to save programs this way since most programs install files in different folders upon installation. To save everything off a HD i use norton Ghost 2003 to make a .gho image of the drive which i put on the external drive. To be able to do this you must have a second HD to send the image to. it is complicated but you can read about it here.

http://ghost.radified.com/

SRX660

Edited by SRX660, 20 January 2006 - 01:37 PM.