Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No Internet access, Browsers fail

• Please log in to reply

Harpo9

Harpo9

• Pip
  • 2 posts
At bit long and complicated but I will try to be short. Had to re-install Windows ME, using only an Upgrade version. Have no Win 98 disk. The computer previously had Explorer 6 and Media Player 9 on it and had to do some renaming to get the reinstall to actually take. Managed to get the system up and loading properly, however I have no programs including internet explorer active on the menu, I can browse to the machine from other computers on the network and can even send files directly from the internet to this machine through another computer. However this computer will not access the internet directly. If I use the internet connection wizard it starts but kicks me ot when it tries to access explorer. I tried using Explorer 6 setup download but this fails because it tries to access the internet. I have installed firefox to use to access the web, at least it starts up once but fails after a few moments. I need some help I have run out of ideas.

Advertisements

Harpo9

Harpo9

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
No one has any solutions? Or am I not giving enough information for someone to give an educated guess?