Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Laptop Crashes when bumped

• Please log in to reply

godwinaustin

godwinaustin

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Whenever my laptop receives a little bump or whack (hand brushing up against the screen etc.) the computer screen will turn black, I will lose audio and the keyboard will become unresponsive. Not sure if programs are stillrunning, but the HDD icon is not lighting up when this happens, nor is the wireless icon (both icons on computer itself, not the screen)

So when this happens I am forced to just turn the computer off - from that point if I try to turn the laptop back on right away, power comes on, but the system does not boot correctly and the screen remains inactive. HOWEVER, if I simply wait 5 minutes and THEN try to turn the laptop back on everything boots up fine. I have a IBM T41 768mb RAM, dual HDDs, 1.4 GHZ centrino - System Bios was recently flashed, all drivers are up to date as far as I can tell.

any ideas?

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Open it up, remove the harddrive. Was it in securely? Any give or take?

Run HDTUNE
http://www.hdtune.com/

Does it report any errors.

If you can, download a diagnostic utility from the DRIVE manufacturer, run it. ANy errors.

Basically, what I am getting at is it is likely a failing drive or the drive is not properly seated. I actually ran into a very similar issue yesterday.

In its case, as the drive heated it the metal expanded and it would short circuit. In your case, it sounds similar, but the short does not occur without a bump since it is almost but not quite touching.

Needed to replace the drive in my case.

mcpscomp

mcpscomp

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 180 posts
All of mine IBM has that problem. At first I Just like you wondering and after getting pissed off and smack them they came back.....Finally I found out that it was those conectors run from screen to the machine that act up. Open and clean them up shuff them back secure together they ran like new again.
Hope this will help.

godwinaustin

godwinaustin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
now, that you mention it - I definetly suspect that it is my newly installed Fujitsu HDD - Recently, when the computer has crashed, Windows runs chkdsk on the D drive (fujitsu) during startup. however - the drive appears to be seated well (it is in a 2nd HDD removable expansion bay) and HDTUNE did not find any errors. Any other suggestions - I mean, when I run diagnostics on the drive it seems ok, and it seems to be seated fine as far as I can tell - what kind of drive seating can cause this....again when the comp crashed it is when the laptop is moved or bumped - screen blacks out and audio (if it is playing cuts out) - computer is completely non-responsive....any idea why once the laptop crashed I typically have to wait between 5-10 minutes before the laptop will restart? If I turn it on too soon, windows will not boot and there is power, but just a blank screen...? so any other ideas here would be great....thanks :tazz:

Open it up, remove the harddrive. Was it in securely? Any give or take?

Run HDTUNE
http://www.hdtune.com/

Does it report any errors.

If you can, download a diagnostic utility from the DRIVE manufacturer, run it. ANy errors.

Basically, what I am getting at is it is likely a failing drive or the drive is not properly seated. I actually ran into a very similar issue yesterday.

In its case, as the drive heated it the metal expanded and it would short circuit. In your case, it sounds similar, but the short does not occur without a bump since it is almost but not quite touching.

Needed to replace the drive in my case.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
heat--heat causes metal to expand/contract. When the laptop is warm, whatever problem is there is occuring because either the contacts or something on the circuit board are losing connectivity...when it cools, the metal contracts and the parts come back into contact

godwinaustin

godwinaustin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

heat--heat causes metal to expand/contract. When the laptop is warm, whatever problem is there is occuring because either the contacts or something on the circuit board are losing connectivity...when it cools, the metal contracts and the parts come back into contact

gerry, that makes sense - but how do I remedy it?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
replace the drive

You installed a new drive...if you put the old drive back in does the problem recur?

godwinaustin

godwinaustin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

replace the drive

You installed a new drive...if you put the old drive back in does the problem recur?

Ok - the laptop still crashes when moved/bumped EVEN WHEN the new drive is removed I guess this rules out the new drive not being seated correctly?

What else could cause this?

Again, after crashing, it still takes a few minutes before windows will reboot.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
it does not exactly rule it out, since it may be the contacts that have been bent, somehow.

A bump resulting in a reboot still speaks to something mechanical and I am not sure how we can determine the cause

Does bumping it on one side versus another make it more likely to reboot?

(of course, it makes me uncomfortable that we are bumping a $1500 piece of equipment in the first place)

How hard are you bumping it?

godwinaustin

godwinaustin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

it does not exactly rule it out, since it may be the contacts that have been bent, somehow.

A bump resulting in a reboot still speaks to something mechanical and I am not sure how we can determine the cause

Does bumping it on one side versus another make it more likely to reboot?

(of course, it makes me uncomfortable that we are bumping a $1500 piece of equipment in the first place)
How hard are you bumping it?

Not hard at all Gerry, it seems to be getting worse..and now just a move of the computer can crash it. I guess if it is something mechanical then it would make sense to get it checked out by a pro, as I wouldnt really know where to start to check for mechanical issues.

godwinaustin

godwinaustin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
now it is starting to crash on its own - doesnt seem to be heat related as it will sometimes do it within 5 minutes of startup...what the heck is going on here...so it started crashing with small bumps or when moved, now it is doing it on its own. :tazz:

Not hard at all Gerry, it seems to be getting worse..and now just a move of the computer can crash it. I guess if it is something mechanical then it would make sense to get it checked out by a pro, as I wouldnt really know where to start to check for mechanical issues.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
still sounds like a short or fine crack...you need to take it in. We cannot diagnose something like this without seeing it. taking it apart.