Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Aol 9.0 Security

• Please log in to reply

Zan

Zan

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
I've been on AOL for years with few complaints, I know !surprise!. That is, until now. I've turned off the topspeed, spyware checker and a few other components, but after I've been signed on for a while my system slows down, mouse jerks and the light is coming on so something is running, but I can't figure out for sure what. Did manage to get running tasks up and it says topspeed is running. Is this necessary to aol working? If not, how do I get rid of it? Any other clues as to what is going on in the background or a free download that will show me? It drives me crazy because I'm usually in a timed game when it starts. I'm sure it's something to do with aol because it doesn't happen when I'm using IE instead.
Thanks!
Zan

Edited by Zan, 20 January 2006 - 08:48 AM.

Advertisements

Mile Runner

Mile Runner

• PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
Hi Zan, Welcome to Geeks To Go!!!
yes aol is a very disapointing and somewhat invasive program, i do not suggest remvoing the program, but that is simply from a security stand point. do u have some other means of protections? if not i sugest you get some kind of protection on your computer. but the aol securtiy should be able to stop some of the basic things so i whould not suggest disabling it if you are using is as your isp or browser.

Zan

Zan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Thanks! I'm running spydetector and avg, don't have much faith in aol's security, besides I'm on dsl and always on. I'm trying to stop the 'background program' that is running after I sign on to aol. I know it's aol because it only happens when I have it open. I can search on ie for hours w/o a problem. I'm pretty sure it's the topspeed, it's still showing in running processes even after I've disabled it in aol and shut it off in startup. I'll keep plucking away, worst thing is I'll have to reload I guess.

Thank you for trying :tazz: