Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Comp, Weird problems

• Please log in to reply

goose521

goose521

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Ok I built a computer with the same parts listed in the november high end comp guide on sharky extreme. I have two seemingly unrelated problems and it is confusing the heck out of me. First there is no picture when I power the comp up, have tried on two different monitors known to work ruling the monitor out. Tried different video card which didnt fix the problem and both video cards worked in another comp known to work ruling out the video card. Second problem is that while all the fans and lights run perfectly when the comp is powered up the CD drive doesnt power up at all even though it is connected through the correct cable to the power supply. Tried hooking the CD drive to the other working comp and like magic it works perfectly ruling out the CD drive as a problem. The only thing I can figure out on that end is the power supply but all the lights and fans are working so is it possible that it has power but not enough maybe? it is the antec power supply listed in the sharky guide. I appreciate any help you could give me.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
it could in fact be the power supply not being powerful enough...but i doubt any reputable company would list specs for a computer with an underpowered PSU. it could be a faulty psu, or you don't in fact have everything connected correctly...double check all your connections...also if you have access to another psu of the same power rating...try that. also try resetting the CMOS..either by taking out the CMOS battery or by using the CMOS jumper

goose521

goose521

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I finally got it working yesterday, the Processor wasnt seated well enough I guess because when I removed it and replaced it the computer fired up perfectly. Thanks for all the replies.