Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Slow when starting up

• Please log in to reply

wadeb_21

wadeb_21

• PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
My using a toshiba satellite laptop and whenever I log into my profile the computer is really really slow loading everything. I have ran scans on the system for virus's and ad ware/spy ware and the system is clean. I have defraged my disk and it still is running slow, I'm at the point where I don't know what else to do. Does anyone have any ideas I would greatly appreciate it. Thank You

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
start > run
cmd
<enter>

type
chkdsk /r
<enter>

say yes to schedule at next boot

Reboot.

Take a walk, this will take a while

wadeb_21

wadeb_21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

start > run
cmd
<enter>

type
chkdsk /r
<enter>

say yes to schedule at next boot

Reboot.

Take a walk, this will take a while

Alright I did the chkdsk however it still is slower than malasses. I mean takes forever when I log in, if I try to click on say the internet explorer it takes for ever for it to open up and that goes with all the programs. Do you have any other suggestions, I would appreciate it. Thanks

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
please attach a hijackthis log (do not post) so I can see what is running

wadeb_21

wadeb_21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

please attach a hijackthis log (do not post) so I can see what is running

How do I go about doing that?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
download from here:
http://www.geekstogo...ction=show&id=3

run it, choosing run with log.

Save the log that opens in notebook

Press BROWSE > button to navigate to where you saved it. then hit ATTACH button, then post

wadeb_21

wadeb_21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

download from here:

Press BROWSE > button to navigate to where you saved it. then hit ATTACH button, then post

Alright I will give that a try. I appreciate the help.

wadeb_21

wadeb_21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

download from here:

Attached is the HIjack log I log. I'm really not sure what do with it. Will that log hopefully tell us why the PC is running so slow when I log in? Thanks again for your help

Attached Files

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
uninstall all things norton.

Reboot. Fix?

I have no real beef with Norton System Tools other than Goback, which should be completely removed under any and all circumstances on a windows xp machine.

The rest of it people say is bloated and slows your machine, but in most cases this is not really the case. Yes, it does use a big chunk of system resources, but unused system resources are wasted anyways.

However, I have seen on more than one occassion where something in Norton goes awry, slowing the system down horribly. Reinstalling Norton after uninstalling will often fix this.

BUut do remove Goback. It performs the same function as MS system restore but causes other odd problems on XP.

wadeb_21

wadeb_21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

uninstall all things norton.

Reboot. Fix?

I have no real beef with Norton System Tools other than Goback, which should be completely removed under any and all circumstances on a windows xp machine.

The rest of it people say is bloated and slows your machine, but in most cases this is not really the case. Yes, it does use a big chunk of system resources, but unused system resources are wasted anyways.

However, I have seen on more than one occassion where something in Norton goes awry, slowing the system down horribly. Reinstalling Norton after uninstalling will often fix this.

BUut do remove Goback. It performs the same function as MS system restore but causes other odd problems on XP.

Ok so just to recap remove all Norton utilities including Norton internet security and system tools then reinstall everything except for go-back correct? Thanks again so much I appreciate the help.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
yes, but test between uninstall and reinstall.

When you reinstall, you may have to reactivate, which is a pain in the butt. It's a toll free number, but I have sat on hold for 1 hourplus.

That crappy activation process, more than anything else, makes me dissuade people from using Norton anymore. I don't mind activation, but if they are going to have it, they have to make it easy for customers to use it.

wadeb_21

wadeb_21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

When you reinstall, you may have to reactivate, which is a pain in the butt. It's a toll free number, but I have sat on hold for 1 hourplus.

That crappy activation process, more than anything else, makes me dissuade people from using Norton anymore. I don't mind activation, but if they are going to have it, they have to make it easy for customers to use it.

Ok thanks allot I will give it a try. Thanks again for you help

wadeb_21

wadeb_21

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Ok so I did what you told me to do but I decided not to reload the norton system works, however it my computer is still slow when I log on it takes awhile for stuff to open. I mean I think what you told me to do did speed it up a little bit but still nots not at peak performance. Do you have any other sugestions that would fix the problem? Thanks again.