Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Did I ruin my hard drive?

• Please log in to reply

April7

April7

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
I recently installed a new printer and moved the tower while the PC was running in order to get at the USB port in the back of the PC. When moving it, I heard some unpleasant sounds coming from ?the hard drive? (the sounds are no longer present)

The next time I restarted the computer (and every time since), Windows keeps asking for .msi files. The first time, Windows installer asked for an .msi file for a word processing program. Thinking the problem might have been related to the word processing program, I uninstalled it. But then, when restarting Windows again, it asked for an .msi file for another program (a CD burning program).

Did I ruin my hard drive by moving the PC when it was running? What can I do to correct the problem? Would a Windows XP System Resore help? My operating system is Windows XP Professional. Thanks for your advice!!!

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
trying system restore (in theory) might help...if moving the machine caused a hard drive corruption..then there is something extremely wrong with the hard drive...physically wrong....hd's are pretty beefy (relatively) inside with reference to most movement (except for dropping and hitting them with hammers)....simply sliding the pc around shouldn't cause any issues....now....maybe the cable attatching the drive to the machine is loose...or possibly one of the bearings inside of the drive is going out...or a read/write head is loose and came in contact with the hd surface...

do start > run > chckdsk /f

it should say that you need to reboot...goahead and tell it yes..then reboot and let that do it's job without interuption..usually takes an hour

April7

April7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Neither chkdsk/f nor a system restore corrected the problem. Windows installer keeps popping up looking for files that it can't find. Any other ideas?

The only actions I took before the problem started were:
1) Moving the tower during operation (described previously), and
2) Removing junk software that was pre-installed on the new computer--trial basis stuff--(although I did this properly--using control panel and add/remove software). Thanks!!

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Download, install and run Tune Up 2006 Trial

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, confirm delete.

Run Tune Up disc clean up

Run Tune Up registry clean up

Click optimize and improve to run Reg Defrag, the screen will lose colour during the process which can take a few minutes and then needs a reboot

Those will have cleared the drive of obsolete software errors

These are suggestions for making the most of the free trial

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot.

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

Check with what's running to see if some of the programmes you removed are still trying to run

http://www.majorgeek...ad.php?det=4778