Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

LAN "unplugged"

• Please log in to reply

TOm Scott

TOm Scott

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
No news ye as I have been wrapped up in work and have a second machine that my wife can use for e-mail and other stuff.

I hope to get back to it tonight.

I am thinkin g on this and wondering where the issue might be. It is implossible that three LAN boards can be bad (and I know thay are not).

I know that the LAN cable is delivering a signal as demonstrated by the Apple Laptop functioning fine on the netwrk and internet.

Yet the machine in question insists that the LAN cable is unplugged at the ONboard port as well as at the three PCI LAN ports.

This does not strike me as a MOtherboard issue, but rather as a software issue.

Is that where you are?

Thank you so much

Advertisements

TOm Scott

TOm Scott

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
It is now January 25th, and this problem persists.

I have now tried switching from the auto sense or auto negotiate to the alternative settings, one by one.

No change what so ever.

I found a suggestion to check and uncheck the "show icon when connected" box. -- No effect.

I found some stuff in the MS knopwedge base having to do with the power management tab in the NIC congfiguration (article # 811595). No effect.

This has to be a software issue as it applies equally to the onboard NIC as well as to any PCI LAN board that I put on the Motherboard.

I ran a virus scan today, what the heck, I am desparate, - no virus'. Granted the vius scan is missing the most recent week's download, but it is very close to current.

Seems unlikely that I have a spyware problem. If it is, then the spyware defeats its own purpose, as they cannot monitor this machine.

???????????????? :tazz:

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
start > run
cmd
<enter>

type,
netsh winsock reset catalog
<enter>

TOm Scott

TOm Scott

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
tried the CMD windoe with the instruction:

netsh ...

Ran from root "C".

Instruction not recognized.

Further investigation, and found that DOS woes not recognige anything like "winsock" etc.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
is this windows xp, service pack 1 or 2? Or the w2k machine?

TOm Scott

TOm Scott

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Its the Win2k machine, SP4

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
ack...sorry, that only works on xp sp2...let me drag my 2000 pc out of the closet

TOm Scott

TOm Scott

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
I spent some time trying to undersand the DOS W2k functionality with regard to network instructions. But didn't get far enough into it to think that I actually saw some avenue toward success.

TOm Scott

TOm Scott

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
What about this instruction:

netsh routing ip reset

The indication is that this instruction will clean out the Ip routing instructions set(s).

I am ready to do it as it couldn't hurt things.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Right click MY NETWORK PLACES, choose PROPERTIES, choose your LOCAL AREA NETWORK CONNECTION. Select TCP/IP, choose UNINSTALL.

Reboot. (do not select network protocol if asked)

Right click MY NETWORK PLACES, choose PROPERTIES, choose your LOCAL AREA NETWORK CONNECTION. Click INSTALL > PROTOCAL > ADD, click TCPIP OK...(might need windows cd)

Reboot. Still occuring?

Advertisements

TOm Scott

TOm Scott

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Followed your instructions to the tee -

Sorry to report - NADA.

I have actuially done this before, and got the same outcome.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Get LSPfix, run it,and report back what layer service providers are present

http://www.majorgeek...ad.php?det=4180

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
don't fix anything yet

TOm Scott

TOm Scott

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
I do have Norton Utilities on this machine. Have one issue that Norton cannot repair involving a missing DLL file called MSCOREE.DLL

THere was one other Windows error that Norton repaired, but no change in status.

If this recommended program is "the cats meow" it will have to wait until tomorrow. Reson being that I have only one CD-DVD/ RW unit and IT is on this machine that will not access the internet.

So I will go out in the morning and get another CD-DVD / RW unit and install ot on the machine from which I write.

TOm Scott

TOm Scott

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
I have installed a CD- RW drive and downloaded the referred program.

Installed it on the mahine in question.

Came up with something like 79 errors.

I am not going to list them here, but one caught my eye.

It said "Component 'MSINET.OCX' or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid"

While this file is a active X file it does have some input into how Windows handles internet activity.

Comments