Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

LAN "unplugged"

• Please log in to reply

TOm Scott

TOm Scott

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
here are the contents of IP.txt:

Windows 200 IP configuration

Hostname : number1
Primary DNS :
Node Type : Broadcast
IP Routing enabled : NO
Wins Proxy Enabled : NO

Ethernet adapter
Media state : Cable Disconnected
Description : VIA Rhine II
Physical address : 00-0A-E6-E3-24-69

Same as yesterday.

None of those items you listed were issues.

??????? - I am ready to drop this thing off at a diagnostic shop

Windows 200 IP configuration

Hostname : number1
Primary DNS :
Node Type : Broadcast
IP Routing enabled : NO
Wins Proxy Enabled : NO

Ethernet adapter
Media state : Cable Disconnected
Description : VIA Rhine II
Physical address : 00-0A-E6-E3-24-69

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Don't blame you---I assume by the response that none of the issues I listed were issues you meant:

...under tcpip protocol advanced settings, go to WINS and disable netbios over tcpip (or if disabled, enable)

Also, if there are any other protocals like netbui spxipx etc, and you do not need them, remove them

The fact that we have two NIC cards, one integrated and one not displaying the same issue is just baffling.

Have you considered a windows repair install (installing windows atop itself)....I cannot recall if you said you'd done that.

TOm Scott

TOm Scott

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Correct, those were the issues-

I have not done a windows repair install, but I am just tired of this.

At the same time I am extremely appreciative of your time, patience and willingness to walk me through some of this stuff. Words cannot express.

I am going to drop it off at a local shop and give them a shot - they claim great expertise- and I will report back on their findings, hopefully in a day or two.

I cannot imagine a hardware related issue at this point, particularly when we are unable to get a PCI NIC card to respond. But we shall see.

Thank you ever so much.

Tom Scott

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I'd love to here the verdict

mcpscomp

mcpscomp

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 180 posts
Me 2.
At least I'm online.

TOm Scott

TOm Scott

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Well, the local shop was able to get internet acces inside of 10 minutes!

Over the weekend I had located an updated VIA LAN driver and installed it. In the process, and here is where fatigue stes in a a fresh set of eyes is so valuable, I did not recognize that the install had disabled the onboard ethernet and re-enabled the opther two connections, which were not connected.

The shop simply enabled the onboard, and it worked.

But THAT is not the entire story.

I brought the machine home, set it up, turned it on and SAME PROBLEM!!!

Immediately plugged in the Apple Ibook, and found that it worked.

Salled the shop to report this situation, he asked me to do the "IPCONFIG / all and ipconfig / release" No issues other than the "unplugged status"

So I disconnected everything to the box to another LAN connection, hooked up everything, turned it on and BAM it works like a charm!!!!!

With this revelation I am back to the cable and or the router port.

I have in the past relocated the cable to an alternative router port with no success.

It could be the router ( I have two) but I think that the alternative location where the machine is currnetly running fine, is off of the same router where the problem exists. If that is the situation, the only remaining issue is the cable.

But how can one machine ( the ibook) work just fine and another not respond to the same cable. This is perplexing.

I guess I'll just replace the connectors on that cable.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
well, my guess is that the ibook has a better NIC and that the current cable is losing signal (attenuation), or there is too much noise for the lesser quality NICs.

NICs, like modems, come in different qualities--a high quality nic will handle he lower layers of the OSI model, but a low quality nic will offload the work to the CPU....

Somewhere in there, the mystery lies

mcpscomp

mcpscomp

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 180 posts
It could be cable related but more than likely it is the Plugs. Defective plug with deformed body is some thing hit me many times. It could be the combination of the shape of both the male & the female that cause it. Back to your original post, " It's tigh.... No wigling room". For me too tigh is problem.

Edited by mcpscomp, 30 January 2006 - 01:26 PM.

TOm Scott

TOm Scott

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
It could be that, but I discount that angle as the machine works just fine on two other connections; at the repair shop and on another connection in the house.

Additionally, this worked fine for six weeks with no changes in the cable connection.

I am going to poke around with different connections to the route to see if there is any variability, then change out the connectors on the cable.

mcpscomp

mcpscomp

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 180 posts
Tom, don't too worry about this mesage since it only a question.
This message is more for Gerrif but it do related to your problem.
Gerrif,The Question is: Do you think it is possible the problem Tom has came from a power spike that didn't kill the machine but it did corupted some in the bios that make the machine keep change behavier from time to time ?
The reason this come up to me is:
-Windows only give out that message when the cable off or the bios shut the option off.
-The behavier of Tom's machine some what remind me of a bad bios version?????!!!!!!!

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I've never had a power spike partially damage something...stuff either works or not after such a spike in my experience

I am inclined to think that the ultimate issue is the cable is poorly shielded and the NIC are just not sensitive enough to work out the noise, but the Ibook is.

Ibooks are very well built machines...those NIC they put in there are typically high quality.

Most integrated NICs and $10 PC specials are pretty basic and incapable of noise cancellation...and on a clean network, this is not an issue, but on a loud network they just get lost.

Can't wait to hear the final answer, though

TOm Scott

TOm Scott

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Guys,

It is likely going to be a day opr two before I have time to get on this, but I did want to add that I wired the house.

I used CAT5e cable (regular, not plenum) in part because I wanted quality and in part because I am pysically located 17,000 feet fron the CO of the phone company. When I put all of this in, some 5 years ago, there was only one provider of DSL that could reach me. I have stayed with that provider even though cable internet acces is now available.

My DSL sevice is rated as high as 12mb, but given the distance from the CO and the age of the telephone lines from the CO to my house, I get an effective 1mb transmission rate each way.

Additionally, as the crow flies, the distance from the router to the outlet in question is maybe 8 feet with a patch cord from the wall outlet to the machine of 3 feet.

The distance from the router to where the machine is currnetly connected is about 5 feet and a patch cord of 4 feet from the wall outlet to the machine.

I'll report tomorrow if both locations are served by the same hub / router (they are physically adjacent)

mcpscomp

mcpscomp

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 180 posts
Tom, since Gerrif has already cover all the software part, I have only two option left to think of are:
1-Try it with wireless
2-This don't sound 100% right but if nothing works why don't give it a bios update or even refresh if you already have the latest.

I have alway think it is hardware problem but if this doesn't do it then I will have to wait for your final report. Feel bad and curious. Not too many problem have stoped me so far. I will follow up with this.

mcpscomp

mcpscomp

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 180 posts
Sory if I a bit pushy But please post if you ever find out what the problem was.
Thanks.

TOm Scott

TOm Scott

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Gentlemen, not pushy at all. It is just that my business (investment management) has been rather active lately as have personal commitments.

I had hoped to have a littli time this AM but we are leaving early to drive to Chapel Hill and see Carolina play Clemson (Mens NCAA B'ball) and spend the night.

Since I do not follow pro football, I should have time Sunday evening.

I can report that the "problem" mahine has not had any issue what so ever since physically moving it to another wall connection, and the Apple ibook continues to function well on the other connection.

Thanks for your continuing interest,

TOm Scott