Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless networking problems with Windows ME

• Please log in to reply

khtulhu

khtulhu

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi there,
First off I apologise for any typo' as my keyboard had an accident recently and the wireless replacement cant keep up...

I am trying to give 3 pcs 'net access over a 2Meg ADSL connection using a wireless rouer:

Router:
Billion Bipac 5102g (ADSL/ADSL2+ 802.11g).
Encryption disabled (for now)
MAC filtering enabled.

PC1:
Win XP, Wired connection to router. No problems

PC2:
Win2K:
Wireless connection, no problems. (belkin card, not sure the model but its a PCI 802.11b )

PC3
Win ME:
Belkin "Wireless G USB Network Adaptor" (USB)

The Win ME machine can connect to the router but not the internet. I have checked the MAC filtering repeatedly and the address is correct so thats not the problem. This machine can connect to a nearby network(and get online)with no problems, but not mine.
The router is seup to assign IP addresses from 192.168.1.100- 192.168.1.199 but this machine always has an ip of 192.168.1.3 and trys to use 192.168.1.1 as a gateway (router is 1.254)

Any ideas anyone?

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you can set a static ip address on the wireless card once it's turned on...have you tried that?

khtulhu

khtulhu

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Er, no I hadn't tried that :) Forced the IP address and DNS etc. And it now works. Hooray.
Cheers for your guidance :tazz:

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well...now that you got it to connect to your wireless router...we need to find out why it's not getting a dhcp address....could you make sure that you don't have mac address filtering on the router and that dhcp is enabled on the router