Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

yet another cod2 issue...

• Please log in to reply

liquid51

liquid51

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I read dangermouse's thread on this issue, and there is apparently a fix, but I haven't been able to get my hands on it.

I received the game in a bundle deal from eVGA with my video card and it played flawlessly... untill a format and reinstall. Now it installs fine, multiplayer runs fine, but single player won't. I'm sure you've all heard of this problem, but I haven't run across a fix that works.

Can anyone help me out?
Thanks

Advertisements

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,650 posts
Have you tried updating the firmware of the DVD drive?
Have you tried using a different drive?

liquid51

liquid51

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I did update firmware, and this is the only drive I have. But it previously played this game fine, even before I updated the firmware (plextor PX-716SA).

What I don't understand is, if this is a copyright protection issue, why does multi player work fine? Only single player is afflicted.

oh, thank you for the response, btw :tazz:

Edited by liquid51, 21 January 2006 - 09:18 AM.

liquid51

liquid51

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
oh, I'm sorry. I didn't list system specs. I usually have it in my sig but I guess I haven't set it up here at gtg yet.

AMD x2 4800+
Asus A8N-SLI
2gb corsair 3500LL pro
eVGA 7800GTX 512 (x1)
wd raptor 74gb x2 raid 0 (on NVraid)
plextor PX-716SA (sata)
hp cdwriter (my ancient burner)
pc power and cooling turbo 510 sli

windows xp sp2
bios revision 1009
nvidia chipset driver 6.70
nvidia video driver 81.98

I've been using xp64 as well, but because I've been plagued by other issues, I reinstalled xp32. However, I never installed cod2 on xp64, so I guess that really doesn't apply :tazz:

btw, I have an A8N32-SLI on the way. If there's anything related that I need to know about that mobo, I'd appreciate some direction.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,591 posts
so what does it do exactly when you try to play it in single player?

liquid51

liquid51

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
It gives me the "cannot locate cd/dvd" error. Asks me to insert the proper disc and restart the program.

It really is treating the disc as if it were a burnt copy.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

It gives me the "cannot locate cd/dvd" error. Asks me to insert the proper disc and restart the program.

It really is treating the disc as if it were a burnt copy.

The single player is suppost to work if you bought the cd's from the store. Is it cd version or dvd version of the game. I know that the cd version of the game is suppost to work.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,591 posts
here are some suggestions by activision. lets try these to narrow down the issue.

liquid51

liquid51

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
it is the dvd version. And I don't think anyone will disagree with you there. If I bought the game (mine came in a bundle deal from eVGA), then I should expect the single player to work.
I don't understand what you mean though. When would you purchase a game that was not suposed to work? Are you differentiating between a store bought copy (in the cod2 box) and a bundled game?
I don't see why the discs would be different. No, there's no box or documentation, and it just came in a white paper sleeve with the activation # stuck on back, but it's an official activision disc.

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,650 posts
Do you have any CD/DVD cloning/emulation software installed? (Alcohol 120%, CloneCD, Daemon Tools etc...)

If so either disable emulation mode or uninstall the software and try single player again.

liquid51

liquid51

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
When I originally installed the game (when it worked no problem), I was using clonedrive from elaborate bytes. As I said, the game worked fine with the software installed and running. I tried to use clonedrive to run the game (works awesome with doom3), but it didn't work, so I just continued to put the disc in each time I played. But, the game still worked.

After the format and fresh windows install, I did not initially install clonedrive, and it still didn't work. I have since installed clonedrive because I can pretty much rule it out, being that the issue was present when it wasn't.

Whats this I hear about a blacklist? I don't see how that could be an issue. Especially since activision claims that cod2 can be run from a cloned drive, so long as the disc is present when the game is first loaded from the cloned drive.

Edited by liquid51, 24 January 2006 - 11:37 AM.