Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

CPU temp/ overclocking?

• Please log in to reply

pyroguysf

pyroguysf

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
So I just built a new system with a Pentium D 2.8Ghz and it runs nicely, however it get up to about 64-67C and I haven't put it under too much stress. I do not have any case fans yet, but I have the one side of my case open for airflow until I can get some fans, and the only two areas for fans to be mounted are two slots on the upper back part of the case, and on the side that I have removed. I don't really know how hot the Pentium D's can get so I don't know if it's running too hot. Also I'd like to overslock it, but I'm still worried about heat and I'm not sure how fast I'd be able to overclock it to. I could just use AI NOS in the bios, but I'm not sure how safe that would be. I'd like to overclock my graphics card (listed below), but im worried about heat/limits too. Last but not least, the bios gives me a cpu fan error and it displays it running between 1035-1074RPM, but it doesn't seem like a problem to me. My old computer crashed on the first and I gave up trying to fix it, so I just got this one together on the 16th and I'd really like to not run into and heat issues. Thanks in advance for any help.

Specs:
-Pentium D 2.8Ghz 820
-ASUS P5WD2 Premium Motherboard
-XFX GeForce 7800GT

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah your temps are very high, inless you have a specially designed passivley cooled system you should never run wihtout case fans(and having the side off does next to nothing).

Intel CPUs are incredibly hot especially that model, and they can take the heat but you dont want to have it that hot, if you want to play games on that you are going to have to overclock it for good performance(the pentium D820 is one of the poorest performing chips on the market worse than all the single cores as well as dual cores, wouldnt guess that from the price).

I would stick at least one fan on the rear as an exhaust and the side as an intake, you ideally never want the CPU to go over 60C under the heaviest load and preferably you want it under or around 50C. But you really need some fans as without them you will be running far to hot.

pyroguysf

pyroguysf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I've been monitoring it a little closer and it's running at about 60C so it's doing a little better. And you may have your opinion, and I know the 820 is the cheapest of the Pentium D's (I am planning to upgrade eventually, I was just curious to actually test the performance of the Pentium D's and the 820 was the cheapest), and I would actually say that it runs faster and smoother than another computer I have with a P4 HT 3.4Ghz with 1GB ram (the same as in this computer), and I haven't had any problems with it running slowly at all. But I am trying to get some fans in there, and the case being off does help because its near an open window that's always blowing cold air in.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well if its next a source of cold air ild imagine it would but most people dont leave there computers next to the window but you really need case fans as soon as possible. The 820 is a very slow, very hot chip and if you want to overclock it your going to have to be very careful because of its high heat output.

pyroguysf

pyroguysf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
So I went out and bought 2 case fans (not installed yet) but also a cpu fan (Zalman CNPS7700-Cu) and that already keeps my processor more than 10C cooler. However I also bought a new dvd drive (Pioneer DVR-610), APC battery backup ( APC ES 725va), floppy drive, and a microsoft mouse, and now for some reason, none of my cd/dvd drives are working, and my computer is running about 10-15X slower than it was, and I can't figure out what it is.

pyroguysf

pyroguysf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Well, of course it was the jumper on the Pioneer drive I got, but I don't get why it slowed it down so much, but it works now so thats good. I'm going to put in the case fans, and thanks for the help.

boon

boon

• Pip
  • 1 posts

if you want to play games on that you are going to have to overclock it for good performance(the pentium D820 is one of the poorest performing chips on the market worse than all the single cores as well as dual cores, wouldnt guess that from the price).

I have two systems. Both are completely identical except for the processor, and Ram. Same hard drives...

my first system is an..

Athlon 64 3200+
1 GB DDR 400 Ram
6600GT

MY second system is an..

Intel Pentium D 820
1GB DDR2 533 Ram
6600GT

Now i know that you said the 820 is one of the worst performing chips on the market... It beats my AMD system by 200 points on 3D mark 2005 and also wins in every other benchmark tool I have used. And there is a 70% increase of performance in games i play with dual core support... such as doom 3 with the new patch... and king kong.

I am very pleased with the speed i am getting out of it, and it runs smoother than my friends Pentium 4 3.4 Ghz with hyper threading (where his would lag or hang for a second... my system would be able to continue to multitask....

Just adding my input of how the chips actually preform. Intel knows what they are doing. However the 820 does idle at 55 - 60 degrees celcius... so a good heatsync is needed for overclocking...

pyroguysf

pyroguysf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Yeah, my mom has a P4 at 3.4ghz with HT and I do have to say that my 820 does run much smoother, although I had to get a better heatsink/fan for it. Except now I'm having other problems, but I'm going to make another topic for that.