Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

eBay Home Page won't display correctly - all others seem fine thou

• Please log in to reply

Andrew J

Andrew J

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum and am hoping you can help me with a bit of a problem I am having.

I have just bought a new PC running XP Pro SP2 with IE6 and for some reason when I go to Australian eBay home page (www.ebay.com.au) the page doesn't display correctly and instead I only get the outside "panels" of the page displaying correctly and the centre panels have a generic error message saying: "The page cannot be displayed - The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings" similar to when you are not connected to the webpage and are not connected to the internet. (I hope this all makes sense!) Strangely when I go to other pages on eBay.com.au the same error "sometimes" comes up and sometimes it all works fine.
I've accessed the page at the same time from my work laptop which is using the same browser (IE6 SP2) and everything works fine. I've tried resetting everything back to default in IE options, deleting all cookies and page history, turning off pop-up blocker and the XP firewall but all to no avail.

I hope this all makes sense and any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Andrew.

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy and welcome to G2G:

Is JAVA installed on your system?? XP no longer has it as a default install so it may not be..

Try downloading and installing Java Virtual Machine and see if it helps..

Murray

Andrew J

Andrew J

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Thanks Murray,

I've installed Java (it wasn't already installed) but alas the problem still exists.

Next option anyone? :tazz:

regards,

Andrew.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
What are your Security levels set at especially ActiveX??

Murray

Andrew J

Andrew J

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
I have set all the Active X settings to the reccomended settings outlined in the "How to secure your PC" thread http://www.geekstogo...&page=How_did_I

Apart from that everything else it at default.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Is this only happening on this specific website or on others as well??

Murray

Andrew J

Andrew J

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Murray,

It's only on the ebay.com.au site as far as I can tell so far but I haven't stubled across any others as yet.

regards,

Andrew.

Edited by Andrew J, 22 January 2006 - 11:40 PM.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Try This Link and see if you get everything showing!!

Murray

Andrew J

Andrew J

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Murray,

The link is displayed fine although I have not noticed the error before once I was in an item, only on the home page.

Can you also tell me, I posted another issue at the same time I posted this one (was originally under the operating systems forum post number 534897) and have not had a response yet, should I repost it?

regards,

Andrew.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
No.. the second post will only be cancelled as a double post..

Post it HERE

Just post a link to your original question in the Forum I just gave you!!

Also, what do you get if you go to www.ebay.com ??

Murray

Advertisements

Andrew J

Andrew J

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Hi Murray,

Thanks for the tip, I have posted a link as you suggested.

Regarding the www.ebay.com site, it displays fine, no problems at all which confuses me even more.

regards,

Andrew.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Are your language and country settings set to Australia??

Murray

Andrew J

Andrew J

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Hi Murray,

No, I went into the "Regional & Language Options" area of Control Panel and they were set to the United States however I have changed them to Australia but the problem still exists. Is there another area that I need to change them in?

regards,

Andrew.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
In the same place as you were, there is a dropdown for your location.. Did you change that as well??

BTW.. I asked this in the TT Forum here and it has most everyone baffled!! :tazz:

Murray

Andrew J

Andrew J

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Yep, I changed the location drop down also. It certainly has me baffled given that my work laptop has the same browser and doesn't have any problems, I have even tried copying the settings under Tools - Internet Options - Advanced on the laptop to the home pc but that didn't work either.