Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Network Setup wizard grey's out XP Firewall

• Please log in to reply

spacekdet

spacekdet

• Pip
  • 3 posts
When I used my network setup wizard for my home network. I cannot tick my windows firewall it is greyed out. The thing is I want to turn it off but i cannot have this option, I have used services.msc to turn it off but when I do it disables my network please help.

Edited by spacekdet, 20 January 2006 - 06:34 PM.

Advertisements

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Have you tried enabling the Windows Firewall in services and then shutting it off in the security center or the Control Panel? What are you using for a firewall? Are you using a router in your home network? When you say "disables the network" what do you mean? Do you go offline, or are the computers unable to communicate?

Johanna

spacekdet

spacekdet

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I cannot enable or disable the firewall using services or any other method (I do not have any service packs installed), it is always enabled. I am using an external dsl modem not a router, I am using ZA Pro. My computer connects to the internet and if I disable the windows firewall in service.msc the other computer in the network cannot connect to the internet.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Any particular reason that you have decided not install the Service packs or other MS updates? SP2 would prob solve your problem.

Johanna

spacekdet

spacekdet

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Last time I install sp1 it played havoc with my IE6

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Do you have your XP install cd? How long ago did you try SP1? SP2 is cumulative, so you won't need SP1 to update.

Johanna