Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Graphics Cards

• Please log in to reply

ApocalypticDoom

ApocalypticDoom

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Been awhile since I bought any, But I cant find any that are PCI standard. All I can find are PCIe <-- wont work in my system? Looks like from the pics the slotting is diffrent on PCIe than PCI standard. Might be the wrong forums,but what can I do is there a way to convert the mother board or something for theses "new" cards or anyone know a site that has a bunch of PCI standards. Thanks

Edited by ApocalypticDoom, 20 January 2006 - 07:16 PM.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
http://www.tigerdire...c.asp?CatId=319

Heres a few. You might look up pricewatch.com and see what they have there also. There really is not a lot of choices for PCI.

SRX660

Edited by SRX660, 21 January 2006 - 09:10 AM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah having PCI isnt ideal, there isnt much to choose from in PCI and nothing thats fast.

Comrade General

Comrade General

• PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Been awhile since I bought any, But I cant find any that are PCI standard. All I can find are PCIe <-- wont work in my system? Looks like from the pics the slotting is diffrent on PCIe than PCI standard. Might be the wrong forums,but what can I do is there a way to convert the mother board or something for theses "new" cards or anyone know a site that has a bunch of PCI standards. Thanks

You can't "convert" your motherboard. You have to get a totally new one if you want PCI-E. What do you do with your computer? If you game, go PCI-E, if your just do simple stuff, you can keep get a okay PCI card.

But if you game and want a good video card, then you have to get a mobo with PCI-E x16. Take into consideration that you have to make sure your RAM is compatible if you get a new motherboard.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
More than likely he will have to get a new motherboard, cpu, and powersupply. Maybe a new case also if he has a manufactured pc.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814143032

That or a 6200 is the fastest regular pci video cards. Make shure your case isnt the type that uses the low profile cards. Low profile is not as wide and is skinny versions of cards with small brackets if you have a extra small case.

If you have a regular atx tower case you can get the card I listed above.

The Colonel

The Colonel

• PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
I don't reccommend them, but you can get a 6600 on Tiger Direct.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

I don't reccommend them, but you can get a 6600 on Tiger Direct.

they dont make the 6600 in a regular pci slot.

The Colonel

The Colonel

• PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
Could have sworn I saw one! :tazz:

ApocalypticDoom

ApocalypticDoom

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey thanks for the responses!!! buying a new comp isnt an option for my father. Took me 3 years to finally get him his new one.Hes only had it for 2years(Mom kept saying NO!!!) My wife wont let me buy one either :tazz:

Anyways one more question for you all. Could someone explain to me the diffrence between a PCI slot and a PCI slot 2.0?? We found a graphics card called the 3D Fuzion 6200 128mb PCI at chumbo and says needs an available PCI 2.0 slot. just want to make sure he can run it.

jkrsr

jkrsr

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Step One...Remove the vacuum cleaner from it's current facility and leave a broom in it's place for wife to use.

Step Two...Remove all toilets from house and give wife a map to the newly constructed outhouse, out back. If she still doesn't get the message, try Step Three.

Step Three...Replace the wife with a more updated version