Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Motherboard

• Please log in to reply

-=Ac3=-

-=Ac3=-

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
Ok the first motherboard is a gigabyte GA-8IPE1000 Pro2 ..... weridly when i was beggining to connect the motherboard i weridly noticed that as soon as i plugged in the 20/24 pin connector into the motherboard it would power on.. i have tried another power supply just in case but same thing. The problem is it powers up for no reason and no the pin connectors are not touching even so with everything connected it still shows no boot screen. Is this fixable??

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi. I suggest you contact the vendor where you bought it. It may be in need of replacement.

Another course of action, review the manual that came with the motherboard. Gigabyte has tech support available through their web page (I have used it and they did respond). And finally over at
http://forums.pcper....isplay.php?f=11 you can check out this dedicated Gigabyte forum for an answer.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Is the power on switch on the front of the computer connected up to the motherboard correctly? Can you try another switch to see if the original switch has gone bad and stays on? If the puter fires up even after checking and testing with another switch then it is probably the motherboard. This motherboard is not compatible with Nvidia 6600GT video cards. It is only compatible with 4X/8X cards. Also, depending what processor you are using the memory has to be a certain speed. The 400 bus speed processors will only run PC2100 memory, the 533 bus processors will run PC2700 or PC2100, and the 800 bus will support PC3200 memory. You may have the wrong memory although i think you would get some bios beeping if it was the wrong speed.

SRX660

-=Ac3=-

-=Ac3=-

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
Thanks for your replies.... but even if i dont have hardware in the mobo it powers up. All the hardware is compatible because i used to run it with them. Im ery puzzled

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
I apologise for asking you to clarify something that already seems clear but....are you saying that the instant you plug the main ATX (20/24pin) connector from the power supply, into the motherboard, the system powers up?

-=Ac3=-

-=Ac3=-

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

I apologise for asking you to clarify something that already seems clear but....are you saying that the instant you plug the main ATX (20/24pin) connector from the power supply, into the motherboard, the system powers up?

Exactley!..... and ive tried several power supplies

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Ok. I think I had better point out in that case, that you should NEVER connect or disconnect the ATX power connector whilst the external power lead to the mains is plugged in!

-=Ac3=-

-=Ac3=-

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
Hrmmmm!!! does this mean its not fixable even thorugh repairs?

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
No, I'm saying that the motherboard isn't necessarily broken.
If you connect up the power supply to the motherboard (with the external power lead unplugged), and then connect the external power lead, does the system boot up?