Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Shutdown Avast AV

• Please log in to reply

grandpa

grandpa

• PipPipPip
  • 265 posts
Hi

Can someone tell me how to "shutdown" Avast AV. As I want to try out another AV programm, ( I understand you shouldnt have 2 AV pgmms running at the same time) without having to uninstall Avast. Its probably easy.

Many thanks

Grandpa

Advertisements

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
Can you do it going to add/remove programs? Start>>Control Panel>>add/remove programs. :tazz:

grandpa

grandpa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts
Hi coachwife6

Tried looking at that. Will just remove pgme. I only want to disable it. Thanks anyway.

Grandpa

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

Try right clicking on the icon in the System Tray and see if there is a shutdown or disable option!!

Murray

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
Sorry Grandpa. I wasn't paying attention to your question. :tazz: I read it quickly and thought you asked how do you get rid of it. Glad the others came along. :)

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Just right click on the avast icon and select stop on access protection that will stop anything that would activley interfer with another AV, but unless you are getting kapersky or NOD32 i wouldnt bother with anyother AV avast is pretty much as good as free AVs get.

grandpa

grandpa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts
Hi warriorscot

I currently have Zone Alarm Security Suite, which has I thinks its ETrust AV, but I was wondering if i could also use Avast with the appropriate sheild turned of, so as they don't clash.
Anyone any thoughts

Kind regards

Grandpa

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Zone Alarm Internet Security Suite has its own AV so you would be better sticking with that and using online scans to double check it

http://www.newbie.or...nlinescans.html

If you do not like the AV part of ZA you can turn that off and install another AV programme