Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Will Vista run on my computer?

• Please log in to reply

samdaman

samdaman

• Pip
  • 2 posts
:) :woot: :) :P :tazz:

Advertisements

michael_jii

michael_jii

• Pip
  • 1 posts
http://en.wikipedia....i/Windows_vista

take a look see at the hardware specifications up there... :tazz:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Also if you wanted us to tell you we would have needed some system requirements .

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts

Also if you wanted us to tell you we would have needed some system requirements .

Don't be ridiculous. Just answer his question... :tazz:

Comrade General

Comrade General

• PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Don't be ridiculous. Just answer his question... :tazz:

:) The answer is.... I don't know! :)

"A graphics card that uses AGP 8X or PCI Express 16X 8-lane bus"

So no PCI cards can support Vista?

Edited by Comrade General, 22 January 2006 - 03:12 PM.

Lady Rain

Lady Rain

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hmmmm. A bit intimated by you guys, but for what it's worth: I got the AMD Athlon 64X2 dual core procesor 4200+ because it will support Vista. Software and just about everything will jump to 64 bit, at least that's what I've heard. But there's a difference between supporting and supporting well. I'd hate to have this sweet little boogy machine turned into a dog. Wait and see, wait and see. Every computer system is outdated by the time you get the box open, so you gotta go with what you got and have as much fun as possible. I spent three happy years on the last one until I learned more and wanted more. 128 bit can't be that far away. I'm still waiting for the one I can plug into the port in the back of my head.

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hi Lady Rain -- welcome to GeeksToGo! :)

Every computer system is outdated by the time you get the box open, so you gotta go with what you got and have as much fun as possible.

I've had my bad boy for about 5 years now -- do you think it's slightly outdated? I'm thinking that it's probably a good time for me to actually buy a new computer, rather than just upgrading all the time :tazz:

128 bit can't be that far away.

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for the 128-bit if I were you :)

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
128 bit, its quantum next lol.

Comrade General

Comrade General

• PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

128 bit, its quantum next lol.

Is that what they are calling it? :tazz:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
No, lol quantum level processor technology, look it up no more binary systems going into 7 to 14.

Advertisements

Comrade General

Comrade General

• PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

No, lol quantum level processor technology, look it up no more binary systems going into 7 to 14.

Bah, Binary is soo confusing. :tazz:

Lady Rain

Lady Rain

• Pip
  • 9 posts
It's all those 1's and 0's. :tazz:

Comrade General

Comrade General

• PipPipPip
  • 387 posts

It's all those 1's and 0's. :tazz:

I thought I saw a 2 one time! Oh noes! :)

Lady Rain

Lady Rain

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Yuck, yuck! That was knee-slapper! Seriously, folks, I'd like to know more about this computer of a different color. I heard mention of quantum computers years ago, but I just couldn't wrap my noggin' around it. Has anyone created one yet? Or is it still theory? I am agok at the thought. Imagine, with a little ingenuity, you could create a wormhole in your own backyard.
And something else I've been wondering about.... Have they honestly transported, as in "Beam me up, Scotty," an apple or some such thing a few inches, feet, yards? Can't remember which. Was someone I respect pulling my leg?

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
People get really hung-up on Vista's specs. Yes, they are more than XP, and yes better hardware will run it better. But, like Windows XP, it will adjust your experience based on your hardware. Basically, Vista requires what a decent gaming computer would require. A 3D graphics card, and 1GB of RAM. Without the proper card, you won't experience all the features of the Aero interface. Without 1GB of RAM, you'll run a little slower. XP says it requires 256MB of RAM, but everyone knows it runs much better with 512MB. Any CPU from the past couple of years should run it just fine. I have the beta installed on a laptop with integrated Intel graphics (weak), and 512MB of RAM. It's a little slow, but actually works quite well.

Quantum computing is still a LONG way off. It's still only a theory, although they're making progress towards advancing that theory all the time. The theorized power of a quantum computer is amazing (a 32-qubit quantum computer would have as much power as if you turned every atom on earth into a Pentium 4).

One of the odd things about a qubit and a challenge for quantum computing, is that you can't observe a qubit without changing it's state. Quantum physics is an odd reality. Quibits have also been teleported, but nothing in the physical world, like an Apple. Entangled qubits have the odd property of sharing the same state, no matter where they are at in the Universe. One could be light years away, and their states would change simultaneously. Seemingly sharing some type of quantum communication that isn't bound by the speed of light (teleportation). :tazz: