Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Faster swap file

• Please log in to reply

Ken McIntyre

Ken McIntyre

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
I[size=3] have a older laptop that suffers from inadequate memory. Buying new memory is not an option as I live in a non tech country. But I'm wondering if I can move my swap fileonto an under-used USB drivethings would speed up. How would I do this on Windows XP?]

Advertisements

bofh

bofh

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
i'm presuming that your a linux user as you mention swap. they call it a paging file in windows, i have never tried to do what your suggesting but its an interesting idea.

the trouble is, your usb media is unlikey to be faster than the hard disk drive due to the bus speed of usb 1 and 2.

but hey its worth a try.

>right click on "my computer"
>click "properties"
>click on the "advanced" tab
>click on "performance options"
>in the virtual memory section click "change"
>here you can choose which volume your paging file will reside on - make sure your usb media is mounted at this poitn or you wont see it in the list

the sixe of the paging file is important, same rules apply as they do for a linux swap file, about 1.5 time the size of the memory installed is good, however, windows likes to choose the pagining file size itself so might be better to let it choose this for you.

good luck, let me know if it works, i may try it myself.

Ken McIntyre

Ken McIntyre

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I am using Windows XP but youmay have put me on the right track. Will let you know.
warmest greetings from Colombia