Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows not starting?

• Please log in to reply

gwhoosh

gwhoosh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
Nothing :tazz:

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Do you have a recovery CD or an XP CD

gwhoosh

gwhoosh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
I suppose I should have one, although I don't know where. I'll have to look for it - for a long time lol

gwhoosh

gwhoosh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
Ok, I've found them :tazz: But which to use? The Driver Recovery, Application Recovery, or Operating System CD? Either way, the laptop doesn't seem to be reading it as nothing happens.

Fusion_Inc

Fusion_Inc

• PipPip
  • 74 posts
Operating System CD put it in and restart?

gwhoosh

gwhoosh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
It's not reading any of them, nothing happens.

Is there any way I can back up my data without even being able to access anything besides the BIOS or the change the boot order (esc button)?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You probably need to go back to F10 and set up to change the boot order to CD ROM then hard drive, save the change, confirm and reboot with the XP CD in then follow either of these methods

You can use these to repair XP

Possibly, you will need to boot the PC and keep tapping the delete key until the PC enters set up. Change the boot order to CD ROM Drive then hard drive, press F10 then press enter, type Y then press enter and as it reboots, look for press any key to load from CD, press enter

XP Repair Install

Or here if you are unable to run XP Repair Install

Alternative XP Repair Install Method

Use Windows Installation CD to repair the current installation, from the list, which uses a slightly different method

Windows XP repair feature won't delete your data, installed programs, personal information, or settings. It just repairs the operating system

After running XP Repair you will need to install all Windows Updates

Microsoft Update

gwhoosh

gwhoosh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
I still can't do anything and it's not reading the CD.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts

Hmmm when I press Esc, it gives me a Boot Menu and Hard Drive has a + next to it. When I select it, it says

SMART Failure Predicted on Hard Disk 0: TOSHIBA MK6021GAS-(PM)

WARNING: Immediately back-up your data and replace your hard disk drive. A failure may be imminent.

Press F1 to continue.

0_0 How can I back up my data?? *scared*

You are getting this error because your hard drive is near death. Since it's a laptop, there really isn't anything you can do yourself. When you bring it into the shop (gah I hate telling someone they have to pay to fix their computer :tazz: ) you can tell them to backup the data on your old hard drive before they put the new hard drive in and install Windows on it.

Fenor