Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

My USB configuration is a complete mess. Can anybody help?

• Please log in to reply

Lovepeaceguru

Lovepeaceguru

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
I run XP Home SP2 on a Asus P5GD1-VM motherboard, P4 3.4GHz, 4GB RAM.

There are six USB ports, two on the front of the system unit, four at the back. I always understood that these were all USB 2.0.

I have just installed a powered USB hub with seven ports. It is plugged into one of the ports at the back of the machine.

I am trying to run the following USB devices:

A powered hub with seven USB ports - no name but M.N: UH-7CY1S
Cinergy T USB XS - a DVB tuner
Oki C5450n laser printer
Sony DRX-810UL external DVD writer
Canon MP800 ink jet printer
Logitech QuickCam Fusion
Logitech Bluetooth hub connecting cordless mouse/keyboard

Occasionally I also want to use:

Another Logitech wireless keyboard/mouse sender
A different webcam
A Brother printer
A USB flash drive

SInce installing the powered hub my system has been hanging. If I boot up with the hub powered then my system hangs right at the beginning on "initializing USB controllers". If I plug it in after boot then I get all sorts of USB devoce not recognised One of teh USB devices has malfubctiuoined errosr.

I downloaded USBInfo but haven't registered it yet. It shows me that I have 1.1 controllers and 2.0 controllers and I am completely confused about what is where and how I should reconnect. Obviously I want everything on 2.0.

Then I keep on getting error messages but when I run USBReady it says everything is perfect!!!!

Can anybody help. SHall I just uninstall everything and start again? If so some guidance would be appreciated.

If someone wants to talk me through it I will of course pay for teh phone call. Just reply with your number and I'll call you.

I'm trying to attach files which show screenshots.

USBinfo_screenshot_1.gif

USBinfo_screenshot_2.gif

USBready_screenshot_3.gif

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi again

A couple of comments quickly before I forget.....
1. Try & avoid using the front USB ports (I realise that you're currently using the rear ones anyway but thought it was worth mentioning). Front USB tends to be more prone to static damage etc.
2. Just because a USB hub has 7 ports, doesn't mean you can have 7 devices all running perfectly happily from it at once!

OK. You mentioned that Windows hangs when you boot up with the hub connected, right? Does that happen if the hub itself is connected but has no USB devices plugged in to it?

Lovepeaceguru

Lovepeaceguru

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Thx Samm.

No it bootd alright with nothing plugged in. However, I then unpluggeed it and connected directly the wireless adapter and that boots fine too!

Thx for help!

????

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
I suspect the issue then is the sheer number (or combination) of USB devices that you had connected.
Consider this :
Some of your USB devices will have their own power supply, right? But some of them won't, they will draw their power directly from the USB controller or hub. If you have several non-powered USB devices connected to the same hub, then this is likely to put a strain on the amount of power available.

Also, USB devices are not allocated their own IRQs, they use the IRQ assigned to the USB Controller instead. This means that all the devices connected to the hub are sharing the same IRQ.

In short, the answer is probably going to be to just connect the USB devices as and when you need to use them & disconnect again afterwards, rather than having them all permanently connected when the system boots up.

Lovepeaceguru

Lovepeaceguru

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Thx Samm. I'll let you know what happens.