Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

One computer in my wireless LAN is unable to access certain sites

• Please log in to reply

punrein

punrein

• Pip
  • 8 posts
OK, this is a weird one, guys and gals. I have one computer on my wireless network of PCs in my house that is unable to access certain websites like http://www.geekstogo.com, http://online.fullcoll.edu (an online course that I am currently taking), and occasionally it's also unable to access Yahoo email. All the other computers can access these websites just fine save for this particular computer (which is Dell...not that it should make much difference). All PCs use Windows XP.

I've check my router, I've turned of my Windows XP firewall, I've lowered my security setting, I've set up trusted sites, I've run my Lavasoft anti-spyware programs and antivirus programs, I do not have any content filtering going on with my Netgear router...all to no avail for this poor computer. This problem first started cropping up around 4-5 months ago, but I do not recall any software that was installed that on this computer that was causing any problems.

Anyway, I leave it to the Tech gods to try & figure this one out! :tazz:

Thanks!

Advertisements

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Have you tried dumping all your temp files and clearing cookies? Do you have any ad blocking software installed? What kind of firewall do you use?

Johanna

punrein

punrein

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Sorry I've been busy and not had time to properly thank you for advice. It seems that the best thing to do when I'm having trouble accessing certain websites is to power down my router and DSL modem and power 'em back up. Don't ask me why that works, but having tried everything else, this seems to be the most workable solution.

Thank you again for your advice above.

:tazz: