Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Riddle me this, riddle me that...

• Please log in to reply

sunny441

sunny441

• PipPipPip
  • 258 posts
Got a problem in my Math class... need some help. This is quite tricky.. and opinion is divided amongst friends. Here is the question anyway.

An ancient Sicilian legend says that the barber in a remote town —who can be reached only by traveling a dangerous mountain road— shaves those people, and only those people, who do not shave themselves. Can there be such a barber?

What is the answer - I strongly feel it is a NO - but i dunno why. :tazz:

Can someone help me out

Cheers

Advertisements

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Are you sure you didn't leave out part of the question?

Johanna

sunny441

sunny441

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts
Yup am sure!
Thats the quesion - verbatim from the book!

Edited by sunny441, 21 January 2006 - 05:09 PM.

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Isn't this one of those questions where you are meant to use a Truth Table? Can't recall the exact setup.. I'll think about it :tazz:

maranatha

maranatha

• PipPipPip
  • 309 posts
Why would the barber shave someone already shaved? If someone does not shave himself, does he want to be shaved?

"I shave only those who do not shave themselves".

Does the barber shave himself?

Riddles

Edited by maranatha, 21 January 2006 - 11:35 PM.

Swandog46

Swandog46

Malware Expert

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts
  • MVP
The usual conclusion to this scenario is the question: does the barber shave himself? The question cannot be answered, because if you say "yes", then the barber shaves himself, but if the barber shaves only those who do not shave themselves, then the barber cannot shave himself --- contradiction. If you say "no," then the barber doesn't shave himself, but then the barber must shave himself, since he shaves those who do not shave themselves --- contradiction again.

It's the same old one as "this statement is a lie", or "can an omnipotent god create a boulder that he (or she!) cannot lift?".

Steamhead

Steamhead

Visiting Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 519 posts
Never thought of it like that.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
it's probably a sheep shearer....like...mountain goats...

sunny441

sunny441

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts
hiya folks

Class meets in an hour... so will know what the answer is. but am guessing that such a barber could exist - but the problem arises when you raise the question about the barber shaving himself. If he does then - it is a problem.

This is basically a paradox(?) i think

and there is no one possible answer to this question

Cheers