Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

amd Duel Core - You might be interedted to know

• Please log in to reply

mitc1111

mitc1111

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
I recently got a new PC. The brain is a DualCore AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+. I've had some problems with games. (SEE my post in this section "All games stutter or lock up or crash on new PC").

One of the major issues is games crashing. All the games I've installed and played so far (including FEAR, NFS MW, Underground 2, Swat 4, Chaos Theory, King Kong) crash every 10 -20 minutes. Sometimes they get caught in a sound loop with a frozen screen, and sometimes they just crash to the desktop. I updated all my drivers, flashed my BIOS (Award on a Asus A8N-SLI Premium), ran every fix-it thing I could find...

I finally found the issue. Duel core. All the games I've been playing can't seem to handle the two processors. When I disable one of the CPS for the game (task manager/ right click on game in Processes/ set Affinity to just one CPU) the games don't crash, EVER. There is a Hotfix from Microsoft that I think addresses this problem (http://support.micro....com/?id=896256), but it didn't help. I have to use only one CPU, then it works just fine.

I listed King Kong above, and it does have a setting for duel core in the settings. I have issues with this game, but I think it's something else. I'm sure King Kong can handle both CPUs, and even utilize them.

I'm still glad I got the duel core. This time 8 months from now it wont be an issue. The future is duel core. But we're in a transition period. Or maybe it's just my system, but I've heard others say similar things. Comments on this?

Edited by mitc1111, 21 January 2006 - 06:21 PM.

Advertisements