Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

My new system has a AMD duel core and ...

• Please log in to reply

mitc1111

mitc1111

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
First, I appoligse if this has been discussed in other topics. I have't been keeping up with the topics recently.

Also, I posted this in the hardware section, and then realized the gamers would probably be the better target. Sorry Admins for the repeat.

I recently got a new PC. The brain is a DualCore AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+. I've had some problems with games.

One of the major issues is games crashing. All the games I've installed and played so far (including FEAR, NFS MW, Underground 2, Swat 4, Chaos Theory, King Kong) crash every 10 -20 minutes. Sometimes they get caught in a sound loop with a frozen screen, and sometimes they just crash to the desktop. I updated all my drivers, flashed my BIOS (Award on a Asus A8N-SLI Premium), ran every fix-it thing I could find...

I finally found the issue. Duel core. All the games I've been playing can't seem to handle the two processors. When I disable one of the CPS for the game (task manager/ right click on game in Processes/ set Affinity to just one CPU) the games don't crash, ever. There is a Hotfix from Microsoft that I think is suppose to fix this problem (http://support.micro....com/?id=896256), but it didn't help. I have to use only one CPU, then it works just fine.

I listed King Kong above, and it does have a setting for duel core in the settings. I have issues with this game, but I think it's something else (waiting for my 7800 GTX 512 mb card to arrive, I have a very weak card in right now - that is the issue with Kong). I'm sure King Kong can handle both CPUs, and even utilize them.

I'm still glad I got the duel core. This time 8 months from now it wont be an issue. The future is duel core. But we're in a transition period. Or maybe it's just my system, but I've heard others say similar things. Comments on this?

Edited by mitc1111, 21 January 2006 - 06:19 PM.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah most games are designed to operate on a single 32 bit core, so when you have a dual 64 bit things start to look odd for the game, its the same thing when some games dont work with hyperthreading, at the moment very few people ave dual core so the developers arent catering for it as much(only reason king kong has it as multi core support was put in for the xbox 360 so they left it in with the pc version as well. There are patches being released slowly for the newer games that help with dual core but for the moment until games are all made dual core(all the new ones this year should be) then you will probably have to disable the second core to play(which doesnt make to much of a difference with the AMDs as even the slow ones are good at games.

mitc1111

mitc1111

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Thanks for the info.

By the way, does it matter which CPU I disable? I've been just unchecking CPU 0 and leaving CPU 1 active. And this works fine. But it gets me thinking... Is there a difference? Is one certain CPU more free in general?

And also, is the way I'm disableing a CPU (task manager) ok, or is there a better way?

Last qusetion. I dont understand, technically, what's happening with 64 bit vs 32 bit. Is there a place I can find some good material on what's happening with the duel core as far as 32 vs 64 bit. See, the way I curently see it in my head, I thought the duel core was still 32 bit, just two processors. I need to read up.

Thanks

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
I have talked about this issue before when recommending dual core to computer buyers. All you have to do is go into the task manager and force the game to play on one core. It doesnt matter which core you do it to but it wont hurt to try both ways. The task manager is fine and is really the only way that I know of. Its not a big problem at all, wait until you see more dual core games coming out. :tazz:

mitc1111

mitc1111

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Thanks.

Yeah, I'm not disheartened by this issue. I've been disabling one CPU and the games work fine. I know a little bit down the road almost all the games/software will be duel core minded.

To anyone casually reading this post ... I dont want to give the impression that I'm dissatisfied with my dual core processor. I wholeheatledly recommend an AMD duel core. It's fast and slick. And I hear that the upcomming FX60 (is that righty, FX60?) will be the next in the unparrelled FX series, AND it will be duel. I might just have to quit buying food to save for it (if it's the same pin as my x2)