Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

blue screen with error messages

• Please log in to reply

Vquiltmaker

Vquiltmaker

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi! You all did such a wonderful job helping in the past!

Unfortunately, I've got two other problems.

Problem 1:Several times a day, our machine locks up and goes to a blue screen. There are various tech numbers shown and at the bottom of the message it says, "dump of physical memory complete".

Here is one of the message tech numbers that I copied down:

***STOP: 0x000000F4 (0x00000003, 0x81746020,0x81746194,0x805F9F88)

Another blue screen message said this:

Kernel-Data-Inpage-Error
***STOP:0x00000007A (0xC03E114C, 0xC000000E,0xF8463CA8, 0x13393860)

atapi.sys-Address F8453CA8 base at F8444000, Datestamp H1107b4d

Just before receiving a blue screen error, we hear a loud clicking noise from the tower.

When I described this problem to Dell, they told me that Windows needed to be reloaded and wanted me to pay $100 for their support. I am currently running HD Tune 2.51. So far it has two "red" blocks and is still scanning. Can you help me?

Problem 2: that I have is that my tower temperature is 86 degrees C. What do I do about that?

Thanks so much. I recommend your site to everyone!

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Welcome to G2G

Re. your first problem :
Sounds like the hard drive has some bad sectors on it. If this is the case, then simply reinstalling XP as Dell suggested, wouldn't do any good anyway. I'm not familiar with HD Tune I'm afraid, so can you tell me what the red blocks are supposed to represent?

Re. the temperature:
Is this the cpu temp or the system temp? Either way, it's way too hot but obviously need to know which it is before trying to remedy. If it is the cpu temp, by the way, and it's currently running at that temperature, then I advise you switch it off now!

Also, can you give me the basic specs of the system (i.e cpu, hard drive, ram etc) OR the Dell model number will do if not.

Saynt Cinn

Saynt Cinn

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
ummm Dell has a "quick" drive Diagnostic...takes about 2-5 min.... turn on comp and at Dell screen tap F12 key... then select ide drive diagnostics... or the Diagnostics option that comes up hit enter and let test run.... then let me know what it says..

Vquiltmaker

Vquiltmaker

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks to both of you for answering!

Regarding HDTune: The red blocks represent damaged areas of the hard drive. Each block represents 95 MB

Regarding temperature: This is a part of HD Tune and it says "Critical Hard Disk Temperature". Today it is 75 degrees C

Basic specs: Dell Optiplex DIM 4700
Intel®
Pentium ®
CPU 3.4 GHz
3.39 GHz, 512MB of RAM

Dell Diagnostic results:

Drive 0: Maxtor 7Y250M0 - Fail.
Return Code: 7
Drive 1: No Devise
Drive 2: JLMS-DVD-ROMXJ-HD166- Diagnositcs not supported
Drive 3: Samsung DC-R/RW SW-252S- Diagnostics not supported

I also had a blue screen with different numbers today:
***STOP: 0X000000F4 (0X00000003, 0X817CF898,0X817CFA0C, 0X805F9F88)

Thanks!
Vquiltmaker

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi

If you rmachine is still under warranty, then you need to return it & have the hard drive replaced. As this is a hardware failure, it should be covered by the warranty & (in theory) you shouldn't have to pay for the OS to be reloaded on the replacement drive.

The drive has developed bad sectors (physical damage) which a reload of the software alone will not fix. The extremely high temperature of the drive is probably due to it constantly trying to access the damaged areas, but you should also check the processor temperature as well just to make sure that that isn't overheating also.

Saynt Cinn

Saynt Cinn

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
Ok so yeah Return code 7 needs a drive replacement.... if your in warranty call Dell let them know the results.....if your Canadian you may want to call after midnight EST...... They will have a tech come to the house if it is a desktop and put the drive in.. As for the OS the tech may or may not start the reinstall of the OS if he doesn't call the tech line and they will take you through it. .. Be warned Dell doesn't warranty any personal info only the HW. And for os and basic sw help you need to call the tech line...

sg37409

sg37409

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I got the exact same with my system, a Dell (2 weeks outside warranty, oh happy days)
with a maxtor 160GB disk.
Booting up stops at the blue screen and says UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME and give hex codes.
STOP: 0X000000ED (0X823DA680 0XC0000006 , etc etc

I go into the IDE diagnostics and I get :

Primary IDE
Drive 0: Maxtor 6Y160P0 - Fail. Return Code: 7

A few questions:
Is this a physical h/w problem, and if so, the disk is trashed ?

Is it a corruption of the filesystem and if so what could cause this ? [Virus ?]

thanks,
Steve

Darryl

Darryl

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
My bro works for Dell Customer Support. Business line though, Ill ask him.

sg37409

sg37409

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi - I ran the Dell/Symantec restore utility which worked a treat. Lost all my data, but that was acceptable in my case. Once my system was back up, I ran chkdsk against the C drive, and no [zero] bad sectors were reported.

So, now I'm very puzzled.
What caused the problem. Still unclear if it was hardware (not likely given chkdsk reported no bad sectors) or a filesystem corruption. System is as well protected against virus, etc as I can make it.

1 thing I failed to mention is that this problem happened when I booted after not turning power off before the system had shutdown completely. Co-incidence ?

Any tips on what ( if anything) I can do now to minimise risk of this again is appreciated.
Steve

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
how odd.

Either way there more shiznit wrong with your computer than dell are letting on.

JonW

JonW

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi All - I had this same problem this morning when I woke up and switched on my Dell. Initially when booting Windows it hung on the Windows Logo startup screen with the progress bar going up and down. When I tried to boot into Safe mode it asked me to press escape to cancel loading 'vax347b.sys' which I did. Then it went into the blue screen of death. When didn't cancel loading the above the same thing happened. Then I went pressed F12 to go into boot utilities and did a disk check. It said:

Drive 0 - Maxtor - 7Y250M0 - Fail - Return code 7

Now I always get a blue screen, with the latest one saying:

STOP: 0x000000ED (0x898A5580, 0xC0000006, 0x00000000, 0x00000000).

Now, all I am concerned about is getting my photos back. Is there anyway to reinstall WinXP but leave data, or would it possible to attach it to my other system and read it?

Help!

Thanks very much

Jon

sg37409

sg37409

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I re-installed XP using the Dell Symantec restore facility.
It trashes all contents of HDD.
<CTRL>F11 as soon as the blue banner appears at boot up and follow instructions.
Details are in the manual. Worth a read,
Steve