Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Viewing all my files on my computer

• Please log in to reply

nick1127

nick1127

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
Is there any way I can view every file just in one folder? I have to kind of prune my computer of my biggest files to free up some space.

Advertisements

retrac1324

retrac1324

• PipPip
  • 69 posts
You can right click folders and select Properties, and it will show how much disc space it is taking.

Some software like TreeSize can show your computer as a Pie Chart and show which sections are taking the most space.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You could try opening the folder then click the view option and change it to details, then right click an empty space, click arrange icons by size

nick1127

nick1127

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
This TreeSize program is pretty useful.. What I was wondering is there some way I can view every file on my computer either using a program or windows, because I can't arrange folders by their size(Arrange Icons), icons don't count as folders so I can't see where the really big files are without spending hours going through my computer.

nick1127

nick1127

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
Nevermind. This TreeSize program does that all for me. Thanks peace

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 876 posts
thanks for letting us know.

for anyone who doesn't have TreeSize(or other program), you can always do a file search by file size:
right click Start>Explore>Search>All files and folders>What size is it?>Specify size(in KB)>at least>100000

files over 100 mb will be listed if 100000 is entered(10 mb if 10000 is entered)

be careful deleting files. if you make a mistake, you can retrieve the file from the recycle bin. the space on the drive will be freed once the deleted file is removed from the recycle bin.