Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Hard wired desktop will not connect to internet all of the sudden

• Please log in to reply

Spinplasm

Spinplasm

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
Sorry if this is a lengthy description!

And THANKS for help!

I recently upgraded my network from an older Belkin 11b wireless router hooked to DSL...upgraded to a DLink 11g router (DI-524)

I am connecting to this with the following:

COMPUTER A: A home built PC (AMD) with a built in hard wired 10/100 ethernet adapter - this computer is running Windows ME and is the one I used to install the router.

COMPUTER B: Another desktop, DELL running Windows XP HE, using a new Dlink wireless adapter (which was really hard to get setup!)

Computer C: Compaq laptop with AMD Sempron built in wireless 11g, with XP HE

Computer D: Dell Latitude D400 running XP Pro with 11b built in wireless (Intel)

PRINTER A: I have an HP all in one printer hooked up by hardwire (I had it hooked wirelessly before but it can only do 11b so I did hardwire to try and make faster)

Everything worked fine under the old Belkin system.

I installed the new system and it took a lot of work but I got pretty much everything working (the printer was the only really hard thing), except I have not been able to get file sharing to work between the different computers...added to same workgroup etc, can see them but says I do not have permission...

Note I am running ZoneAlarm Firewall and both desktops, Norton firewall on COMPUTER C.

After a few days (while you helped we with a nasty Virtumonde problem on Computer B) I saw that Computer B would stop connecting to the internet via IE or Outlook etc. The only way to get back was to reboot and then it would connect, but later if I closed IE and then came back it would not connect anymore.

A few days after that the main COMPUTER A stopped connecting to the internet period....absolutely nothing and nothing I have done could fix that. ZoneAlarm still indicates traffic however, but the printer was installed from this machine and usually it pops up when I re-boot and it no longer does that.

I am sure this sounds like a huge mess to try and figure out but any help would be great. I was thinking of just putting my old Belkin back on and seeing if that fixed it as a first try...???

Thanks

Spinplasm

Advertisements

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hi Spinplasm,
There seems to be alot going on, and alot going wrong on your network. The most important thing I think is getting your computers back on the Internet.

After a few days (while you helped we with a nasty Virtumonde problem on Computer B) I saw that Computer B would stop connecting to the internet via IE or Outlook etc. The only way to get back was to reboot and then it would connect, but later if I closed IE and then came back it would not connect anymore.

A few days after that the main COMPUTER A stopped connecting to the internet period....absolutely nothing and nothing I have done could fix that. ZoneAlarm still indicates traffic however, but the printer was installed from this machine and usually it pops up when I re-boot and it no longer does that.

Did you get the all clear for Computer B? Is it clean? Have you tried all of these steps here on Computer A? If you plug Computer A directly into the modem, is it able to connect to the Internet? Have you tried disabling your firewalls and then seeing if you're able to interact with your network / gain an Internet connection? Try restarting A into Safe Mode with Networking, and then try to access the Internet.

I installed the new system and it took a lot of work but I got pretty much everything working (the printer was the only really hard thing), except I have not been able to get file sharing to work between the different computers...added to same workgroup etc, can see them but says I do not have permission...

Did you try disabling your firewalls when sharing files? However, we'll worry about this once you regain Internet connectivity.

I am sure this sounds like a huge mess to try and figure out but any help would be great. I was thinking of just putting my old Belkin back on and seeing if that fixed it as a first try...???

That's loser-talk.:) Do you want the guys at your local Computer Store to think you're a loser?:) I don't know about you, but I'd cry myself to sleep every night if I thought that the guys at my local Computer Store didn't respect me...:tazz:

Spinplasm

Spinplasm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
HI Dan (Great Name by the way - something we have in common!):

OK Ok I don't want the guys at the computer store to think I am a loser...I actually used to be pretty good with these things back in the Windows 95 and NT 3.51 days but I am a little out of practice now....

Just for the record I DO NOT WANT to go back to my old 11b router....but it was easier than re-configuring all of my dsl servers etc into my desktop machine...I can probably do that if you want, but it has been a while since I have set it up that way. Obviously just plugging it in didn't work because I did not have the server entries etc.

BUT when I did hook up my old 11b router it popped right back up with no problem and connected so it does seem to be the relation with the new router (I am guessing that is causing the periodic disconnects for Computer B as well.

Also for the record Computer B is clean now (thanks to one of your associates!) and I have run ADAware, Spybpt, AVG antivirus, CWShredder on Computer A etc...everything shows clean...I have not run HIJack this.

There was no option on Windows ME Safe mode boot to load with network as there was with my XP systems so I could not do that.

Shutting down ZoneAlarm also did not help....

So from my amateur perspective it seems to be this *&%$#@ DLink router that is getting to me....

Next Steps ????? :tazz:

Thanks

Spinplasm

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts

HI Dan (Great Name by the way - something we have in common!):

Awesome -- that means you get special preference over all of the other users :)

BUT when I did hook up my old 11b router it popped right back up with no problem and connected so it does seem to be the relation with the new router (I am guessing that is causing the periodic disconnects for Computer B as well.

So Computer A was able to connect, no worries? And computer B didn't disconnect at all? Please login to your new router's Web Console, and then look for MAC Filtering -- if it is enabled, then make sure that you have added all of your computers Physical Addresses to the list (especially Computer A).

On Computer B, please do the following:
Goto Start --> Programs --> Accessories --> Communications --> Network Connections --> Right-click your Connection and select Properties --> Click on the Authentication tab --> Disable / uncheck the option IEEE 802.1x authentication for this network. Restart your computer and then see if you still recieve the intermittent loss of connectivity.

If you still do, then when you lose the connection, can you ping the routers IP Address? Can you log into it's web console? Can you regain a connection by going to Start --> Run --> type CMD --> press OK. Now type:
  • ipconfig /release -- wait for the connection to release; then
  • ipconfig /renew -- wait for the connection to re-establish, or alternatively for an error message to display -- if it is an error message, please post the message.
In regards to file sharing, please do this with Computer B and C (since they have the same OS, they should be the easiest). First thing, disable your firewalls. Secondly, run this command on both of the computers:
Please goto Start --> Run --> Type CMD and press OK --> Now, type the following command -- NOTE: replace D:\ with your Shared Folder or your Shared path on that computer -- only type D:\ if you have actually shared D:\ drive...
cacls D:\ /g everyone:f -- NOTE: There is a space between the \ and / along with a space between the g and everyone -- there is no space between the everyone, : and f
Once done, try to share files -- any luck?

Can computer A ever gain an Internet connection through the new router?
Goto Start, Run, type CMD, press 'OK' and then type: IPCONFIG /ALL - please post the results here by right-clicking on the Command Prompt window, selecting 'Select All', pressing the Enter key, and then posting on this forum. Alternately, you can save your information to a text file by using the following command: IPCONFIG /ALL > C:\ipconfig.txt -- navigate to that text file, and copy/paste the information from it.
Can computer A ping the router? Can computer A ping your DNS server (you can find your DNS Server from the ipconfig /all results)?

So from my amateur perspective it seems to be this *&%$#@ DLink router that is getting to me....

I'd have to agree with you on that one :tazz:

Spinplasm

Spinplasm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Hey Dan,

Sorry it has taken me a while to get back to you.

OK so I changed back to my new router and Computer A is connecting fine??? Of course it did this when I first installed the router so I am not sure if it will stay up - last time it lasted about a week before it lost it.

Computer B started losing connection again - I went onto it and I WAS able to ping the router and to access it from IE - but no external connection to the internet without re-booting.

The IEEE 802.1x box was already NOT checked.

the ipconfig release and renew commands worked fine but did not restore internet connectivity...

I did get an interesting ZoneAlarm message "The firewall has blocked internet access to XXX.XXX.XXX.YYY (NetBIOS Session from your computer) (TCP Flags: S) - not sure what it means but the IP address is actual the IP address of COMPUTER B???

Anyway I am sure I had tried turning off the firewall on Computer B before and it didn't work but maybe I was wrong about that because the message above prompted me to enter the entire range of IP addresses from my router through all of those that could be assigned to my computer and now it seems to be working....maybe that was it? Previously I had just entered specific addresses - not thinking that they would be re-assigned as people logged in and out of the network...DUH!

The file sharing is now working between all systems as well.

Ok so I feel like a moron, but once you got me actually thinking it makes sense I guess...

Hopefully that is it and things will keep running - I will let you know if they don't!

I REALLY appreciate the help from all the way around the world - haven't made it to Australia yet...go to Singapore often - but am planning on it soon!

Thanks and take care :tazz:

Spin