Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Computer running much slower after "repair"

• Please log in to reply

brf4n

brf4n

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
My Toshiba laptop had an overheating problem so I took it in for repair. After getting it back everything runs MUCH slower. The hard drisk is about twice as slow and none of my applications run smoothly anymore. What could be the problem?

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi brf4n!

What was repaired on the computer when you sent it in?

Fenor

brf4n

brf4n

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
They replaced the motherboard.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Did they completely reinstall Windows on the laptop after they replaced the hard drive or is it the same installation of windows that was on it before you brought it in for repair?

Fenor

brf4n

brf4n

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
The hard drive is the same, but they replaced the motherboard cause it *might* have melted. It's the same installation of Windows.

Is it even possible to forcefully slow down the CPU and/or hard drive so that the computer won't get as hot?

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
It is possible to slow down a CPU if the BIOS of the motherboard allows manual clocking of the CPU Clock Frequency, but there is no way that I know of that allows you to slow down a hard drive.

Whenever you do a major hardware change, like change the motherboard (even if you change out a damage motherboard with the exact same model), it is ALWAYS a good idea to do a complete fresh install of Windows XP. Windows XP doesn't take kindly to any kind of major changes to the system and therefore that could be causing things to run slower then you remember.

I recommend that you backup the important data that you want to save, like pictures, important documents, etc... and then do a complete reformat of the hard drive and install a fresh copy of Windows XP.

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 22 January 2006 - 05:21 PM.

brf4n

brf4n

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
How do you think I could manually clock up the CPU back to normal speed? I checked the BIOS (on my laptop you access it by hitting esc during startup) but it already said it was at maximum speed.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
If it said it was at maximum then it is, if the chip gets too hot it will slow itself down but when youre running you will notice if it gets to hot as you will be able to feel it and the fans should be going full blast. Try installing windows again thats probably the problem.

brf4n

brf4n

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Will do. I'll post again hopefully within 5 hours.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Usually only takes an hour two tops.